Light-O-Rama Forums

Failed to create empty document.

Jay Czerwinski

I searched the forums and have not found this scenario yet.

I have not used my Superstar software for some time, but everything else is working just fine - Light-O-Rama S5 Sequencer (32-bit), Version 5.5.6
Advanced Edition running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  My show is running just fine.

However I noticed in two songs (New Year countdown and The Most Wonderful Time of the year) that my dates are not 2022.   I tried to load up superstar and fix this, but I only get an error window saying "Failed to create empty document." and an OK button.    Clicking OK just shuts the program down.  

Any suggestions on fixing this?   Thank you.   (Hoping for a quick fix other than reinstalling everything.) 

Thank you in advance for your attention and time,

Jay

It sounds like you are launching superstar "standalone."  Are you using S4?

It also sounds like superstar is failing to launch. Try renaming or deleting the SSEdit.cfg file. You will find it at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / superstar / SSEdit.cfg

23 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Did you try to open the SUP file in SS?

JR

I cannot get the SS to run.  I only get the error screen and then the icon on my task bar goes away because it has stopped loading after I acknowledge the message.   

22 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

It sounds like you are launching superstar "standalone."  Are you using S4?

It also sounds like superstar is failing to launch. Try renaming or deleting the SSEdit.cfg file. You will find it at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / superstar / SSEdit.cfg

I am on S5.

This suggestion had me discover something new - and it might be the problem.   Somehow, all of my SUP files are in a One Drive in the cloud and not on my hard drive locally.   Same goes with the /superstar folder - it is in One Drive in the cloud.   

In S5 are you selecting a motion effect row in the sequencer, right clicking on that row and selecting "insert superstar effect" ?

When you say "empty document" do you mean that the motion effect row does not contain a prop?

Note that using the cloud should not be a problem. Many superstar users are using cloud drives.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Had you at some point set the LOR file structure to point to your One Drive?

Looks like there is an auto archive thing going on with files I haven't used in a while.   I think my solution will be to work on a different computer and worry about this when the season is over and maybe I get a new computer from Santa!

12 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

In S5 are you selecting a motion effect row in the sequencer, right clicking on that row and selecting "insert superstar effect" ?

When you say "empty document" do you mean that the motion effect row does not contain a prop?

Note that using the cloud should not be a problem. Many superstar users are using cloud drives.

I have not progressed to motion effects in sequencer.   I only know how to work in SS directly, then export and cut and paste into my sequence.   Hopefully not dating myself too much!  LOL

What I am experiencing is having already run the control panel, I right click on the lightbulb icon in my app tray at the bottom of the screen and select the third item from the top of the menu =  SuperStar Sequencer.   I immediately get a pop-up window with an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle saying, "Failed to create empty document." and an OK button below.   Clicking OK just closes the window and nothing happens.   

1. I'm going to give up on this computer for the season - as I mentioned to k6ccc, and deal with this later.

2. I'll use my show computer to edit on - I thought it would work there.   Upon opening it, I get a different warning that I should be doing this in S5 Sequencer directly.   8 steps are listed.   They look to show how to create an effect, but I am not sure how I edit one that is already in my sequence from years ago in a cut and paste from SS export to LOR.    (time to do homework or watch here for suggestions)

Thank you,

Jay

In S5 you can open .lms files and it converts them to "channel level" sequencing commands and they are now in a .loredit file.

So you can open the .lms file that was exported from superstar back when you had S4 and if you give it a Preview that has channels that match the .lms file then it gets converted to "channel level" commands.

However, if you have superstar .sup files then the proper way to convert them is to create have a prop in your Preview that matches the grid that was used in your .sup file. You then highlight the motion effect row to that prop (or group of props), right click on the selection and choose "insert superstar effect." 

Superstar will launch, you open the .sup file, then shut down superstar and the data automatically gets sent to the sequencer.

I know this is overwhelming at first. Going from S4 to S5 is a chore.

• Thanks 1