Light-O-Rama Forums

Background image imports upside down

BudC

I want to experiment with the S6 Sequencer before I take the plunge, and when I try to set the image in the Preview Design window it always appears upside down. I tried rotating and saving my source .jpg file before importing to S6, but no matter which way the image is actually oriented it always appears upside down in the Preview Design window. What gives?

Screenshot 2022-12-07 170206.jpg

Gotta wonder if this is failure to recognize EXIF data: the image really *is* upside down, but most image tools make the correction.

Open the image in your favorite image editor, check rotation, and save a new image with the correct orientation.

The JPG file I'm using had the EXIF orientation set to '180', so I changed it to '0'. However, the same thing happens when I import either picture - both are still flipped in the Preview Design window. Very odd!

The picture was taken on an iPhone, if that matters.

Interestingly, when I look at either picture in ExitToolGUI (what I used to change the Orientation value), they both show upside down in the preview window. Something else besides the orientation must be causing it to flip?

Screenshot 2022-12-07 195724.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-07 195817.jpg

1 hour ago, BudC said:

The picture was taken on an iPhone, if that matters.

That is a VERY common problem with photos taken on iPhones.  I can't tell you how often I receive an E-Mail with photos that are upside down only to find that the photos were shot on an iPhone.

Do you have any other camera?

21 hours ago, BudC said:

The JPG file I'm using had the EXIF orientation set to '180', so I changed it to '0'. However, the same thing happens when I import either picture - both are still flipped in the Preview Design window. Very odd!

Setting the rotation to 0 isn't enough, you have to actually rotate the image.  So load it in an image editor, and rotate it till it is in the proper orientation, then save and verify the rotation in EXIF