Light-O-Rama Forums

Media file issue- “unable to get the total time of tge media file”

utb ghost

Upgraded 5 to 6.  I get this message with sequences I upgrade …..  so I just tried to start a new musical sequence, figuring I’d “ see” the simple thing I’m missing.  Darn, same message when I select one of my audio clips - I used them all last many years.  

I have to be missing something simple and obvious …… help!

Are the audio clips mp3 or some other format such as m4a/mp4?

An audio/video codec could have been installed by another program that overrides the previous codec used. Codec is just one part of the story, other filters could interfere with reading a particular media container/format. A common misconception is all AVIs or MP4s are equal. But AVI and MP4 is just a container format and the video and audio inside can be encoded differently. This is one of many articles that help to explain that. https://www.techsmith.com/blog/understanding-video-file-types-codecs-containers-and-outputs/

With LOR software in general, if Windows Media Player (not groove or one of the other newish media players) can play it, then the software can work with it.

MP4, some 3’s -  searched media and found a  solution - doesn’t make sense but it works …. Connected the receiver which drives my outside speakers.  Bingo, all is well.  However, makes no sense to me when upgrading , or starting a new musical sequence, in ver S6, why the speaker needs to be connected and powered up for the media files to be recognized?  That’ll be a huge pain to programming

Edited by utb ghost

Because newer versions of Windows want to see that there is actually something connected to the speaker or line out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, utb ghost said:

Upgraded 5 to 6.  I get this message with sequences I upgrade …..  so I just tried to start a new musical sequence, figuring I’d “ see” the simple thing I’m missing.  Darn, same message when I select one of my audio clips - I used them all last many years.  

I have to be missing something simple and obvious …… help!

I get that in Version 4.4.16 PRO as well, MP3 Files, in the box that states that I get a couple of options to select, then one I always choose is try and get the medias total time, or something to that effect.  When I select that option the LOR SE has always found the total time of the file, imported it and I can start work on the new sequence.  Not sure of the exact wording in the pop-up window, just know when I get it and select try and get the total time of the media file, it always worked, and the new sequence was created.

Doesn't version 5 or 6, have this same pop-up with those options to select from?   Would seem kind of irrational to take that pop-up out with those options to choose from as that always got me past this issue, at least in 4.4.16 PRO it has.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use and Audio file that plays just fine in Windows media and any other software that I have that plays music.. s6 just says unable to play media file, can't be used. How do I get this fixed? This is obviously an issue w/ s6.. Oh wait I fixed it- I closed s6 and reopened it.. Why should I have to do this?