Light-O-Rama Forums

what kind of lights

friskybri

Thanks for all the help on this website. You all make it a great family place to post messages. I was wondering what kind of lights to use. I have been wondering for weeks on this issue. I am going to purchase after Christmas to get the best deal. Usually places do 50%off or more. For example what do people use for windows, garages, Mega trees and lining the roof outline. I know you use icicle lights for the front of the roof. I figured net lighting for the bushes. What do people use for lining the sidewalks, tree trunks and driveway. I would like to know what most people use. Do people use LED lights or regular lights? Thanks, Brian

Everyone will give you a different response ... and they're all correct!

I'm a traditionalist, and use C7s almost exclusively (thousands of them across three houses). The power draw is substantial, but thanks to LOR I rarely have more than 20% of them on at any moment. I like them because of the size and their historical time period is in keeping with my neighborhood.

Once C7 LED replacement bulbs are available which will "fade" and the colors are more natural I'll begin gradually changing to them. But I don't think that will be for a couple of years.

Good luck.

Rick

thanks, does anyone use mini's for windows or mega trees. I would agree that all are correct just like to hear what people use. TOOOOOOOO many decisions

I think you'll find nearly everyone uses minis for megatrees. Around windows is probably more varied - with minis likely being more popular.

Thousands of minis to wrap trees, mini trees, bushes, etc. C9's for gutters. Icicle for roof line. Went LED C6 for mega tree. Very expensive. Very cool looking. Only problem is this particular manufacturer cannot be dimmed so it's very blinky.

BTW, I read on PC were Lowe's is already at 25% off.

Starting a little late?

I started a couple of years ago and using all C6 LED's from Costo. I just got my controller one week ago and put these lights through the test from twinkle to fading and they work amazing with LOR.

I think I will keep buying C6's for everything, they are incredibly bright. But I am experimenting with LED mini's which look pretty good. Again everybodies different.

I am just having fun

Take care

Ron

i am using all mini (mega tree, and added clip strips this year for all outlines-looks great!! & net lights for bushes), first year for LOR but have had static with 10-12k lights, this down to about 8000.

I personally use primarilly minis. Target minis to be exact - i like the energy savers. This year our mega tree will become all c6 leds and the eaves have switched from traditional c7s to a RGB lighting package.

I also exclusively use blue leds - i cant stand the color fade of incads

I have been driving around and have seen alot of lights that line the roof like from the side to the top and acrost the roof. some i have seen online where they change colors. I know they are different strings of lights. what do most people use for that. Thanks to everyone that has replied. its giving me great ideas.