Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting a Good Video Of the Display

redsea300

What is everyone using to get a good video of you display. I have a Sony Hi 8 camcorder. I used it it was horrible. I borrowed a Sony dcr-trv20 mega pixel ccd still very bad but better. I am thinking about renting a Sony HDR-FX1 Hi def widescreen. I am curius what are you guys using and how well do you like it and pros and cons. Thanks in Advance Don C

I found a rental place in my area. They have a hdr-fx1(sony) High def 16:9 format to rent. She said Hi def camera don't work well in low light. She suggested th eSONY DSR-Vx21 almosr professional grade but not hi def. or widescreen. Any ideas..Is hi def ok in low light?

The HDR-FX1 is a very good camera. Full manual control which is essential for shooting night video of lights. This camera has good, not great, low light performance. This is a $5k camera.

I could not find a Sony DSR - Vx21. The DSR-PD150/170 are great cameras as well. Again, full manual control.

All things being considered, unless you have a robust computer, decent editing software, and ability to burn dvd's, I'd go with standard def. camera. It takes forever to render HD.

Here is a review of the HDR-FX1.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-FX1-First-Impression-Camcorder-Review.htm#

I borrowed a friend's Canon XH-A1 (hi-def) last year and shot a quick video of one of my sequences. Unfortunately, I only had about 20 minutes to experiment with the settings, and I didn't frame the shot properly. I'm sure I could have tweaked the settings achieved better results, but I was still relatively pleased with the outcome. I don't think low light is as much of a problem when you potentially have tens of thousands of mini lights. The key is to have full manual control of the aperature, shutter speed and focus. And a 3-chip camera will almost always yield better results than a single chip consumer model.
I had planned on purchasing one of these cameras this year. But as always seems to be the case, some other relatively large financial obligations reared their ugly heads.
Here is the link to the video (obviously scaled down from it's original size):
http://www.flchristmas.com/COB%20NTSC%20High%20Quality%20Profile.wmv

Mark

I rented a Canon GL2(not HD but 3ccd) over the past weekend and the one issue I had was trying to learn how to use all of the manul features to get the most out of the camera. For me it was hard to do over the weekend, and I spent a couple of long nights and early mornings in front of the house playing with the settings. The videos turned out pretty good I think however when I compressed them down for the web I got a lot of noise so to look at the videos on the my sites doesn't do the camera justice.

Just out of curiosity, those of you that rented the cameras, how did you go about finding the place? Also, if you don't mind, how much does it cost to rent something like that?

Ponddude wrote:

Just out of curiosity, those of you that rented the cameras, how did you go about finding the place? Also, if you don't mind, how much does it cost to rent something like that?

I looked them up in the yellow pages online under video equipment rental. For the GL2 I spent $75 a day, the prices went up from there if I remember correctly there top model which is HD was $225 a day. I would find out how they price rental over the weekend. I got a pretty good deal picked it up Wednesday afternoon and returned it Monday morning and because of the holiday and weekend only paid for 2 days.

One things that has helped me out in the past is doing the videotaping early in the morning when there is some light or in the evening just before it gets completely dark. That helps the camera out a bit and seems to make a better video.

When I did the videos totally at night, they look pretty "contrasty" because of the bright lights and dark surroundings....

Randy