Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole house projection vs pixels

ebrown1972

I have been considering trying my hand at whole house projection for a while now. Truth of it is seems like my display has become a lot of work getting all of the lights and props up and then stored. Anyone have experience with whole house projection? If so how does it look compared to a light show (pixels)? What are the Pros and cons of whole house projection? Just looking for opinions and thoughts please. Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric i tried mapping about 5 years ago didn't work very well for me my property is too small. but if you're interested you might look at this website   WWW.LUXEDO.com     they sell a complete kit or just the software.

41 minutes ago, dgrant said:

May I suggest digitalpressworks.com

I've been looking at them and hear they are good. My reservation about trying whole house projection is I have a dark red brick home and everyone says they are a challenge and I would need a super bright projector. Those can be very expensive so I am leaning more towards sticking to what I know which are pixels.

I'm using an Optoma EH460ST. 4100 Ansi Lumens, but I'm not yet using it for projection mapping. I think better would be a new laser projector for our darker homes. I did the original mapping for digitalpressworks and it was looking good using my projector. I elected to not do it this year, projection mapping, because we are probably going to sell and move this next year. No sense in wasting $99/projection for this house when it won't work for another. I am however using the projector, this year, for projection to a motorized screen, therefore video for the viewers of the show. Yes, I had to create videos too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I combine lights and projections. The rear projection on the garage door attracts most of my audience's attention. This year, I focused on video clips of favorite cartoon holiday episodes, i.e. Bluey, Paw Patrol, Blues Clues, Sesame Street, Peppa Pig, and Mickey. I purchased a license for Madmapper software a couple of years ago and have been getting better at this relatively simple process of projecting on a screen, with lots of different video effects on the screen simultaneously.  During Blue Christmas, Bingo (projection) seems to control the pixel tree (lights). This was really fun create. LOR's newest version handles MP4 files really well, with seamless transitions from sequence to sequence. This is a link to Bluey Christmas 2022, my favorite. The video is a close-up of the driveway where I try to create a sort of living room effect. I use a ViewSonic DLP projector, not LED. It's very bight. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about the actual process I go through.

Richard

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jkrTaYBLHJmgKK7Xtem28v5Gh39a377x/view?usp=sharing

Yes, this year, I did indeed use my projector to a motorized screen in combination with a pixel matrix and pixel tree. With software issues only, it ran very well. Projection was very bright but I had the screen too far away from the street but it was still viewable. House, driveway and garage prevented me from putting it closer. I used Nero for editing my videos which also worked out very well. Since my projector is a short throw, I did front projection but connected the screen controller into a set of channels on one of my CMB24D's.