Light-O-Rama Forums

Show shuts down mid-song and restarts show

Denny

Show shuts down mid-song and restarts the show.  It's not at the same place every time, appears to be random places.  I am controlling my show with two linked N4-G4 MP3 players.  Songs are MP3.  Networks 1-4  (Reg - Aux C) are 5 ea Pixie 16 controllers, Network 5 (Aux D) consists of 11 ea CMB24D controllers, all connected to dumb pixels for singing faces.  Everything worked as expected until I connected the second N4-G4 and moved networks C and D to it.  Both directors are connected through the Network 1 jacks.  Originally, Network C was on the first director and Network D was sequenced and set up in the sequencer but not connected to the system until I received the second N4-G4 from LOR.  Problems started then.  Originally, I had Network D set as an enhanced network at 500K, like the other 4 networks.  I have changed it to regular LOR at various speeds, but it does not seem to have any effect.   Last night it shut down the controller on Network C with a Pixie 16.   The show still acts the same.  Any suggestions what to check?

First thing that comes to me is for you to check the Windows Device Manager settings for the USB hubs on the computer. If its got a tab called power management, go into that and insure its unchecked, to turn it off to conserve power.

I'm going to jump on here as I have a similar issue with a single G3-MP3.

Right now it's just shutting down mid-show. Not restarting. 

The display on the director reads the right show but no output, no lights. 

I have tried - different SD cards (multiple times). updating FW on G3-MP3. Full format on SD cards before reloading shows. 

The sequence that is crashing right now is just a simple showtime text across a matrix on a 30 second repeating loop. 

I'm currently waiting to see if the director will roll to the next show in a couple of hours and restart or if it's truly hung up. 

Hoping that some of the suggestions for Denny may work for me. 

15 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Remove the LOOP

Oh for the love of all things sequenced! 🤦‍♂️I am pretty sure this gets me every other year. I create something from scratch, leave a blank "Loop 1" line at the top of the sequence, it bugs out the director and I forget and freak out. 

Loop line removed.... up and running. I think that's it, but will confirm back if I'm still up, running and crash free at the end of the night!

THANK YOU!!!!

The manual for the directors has not been updated, so I don't know if this is normal or not, but the linked second director is constantly showing "sync;" is this normal?  The manual does not reference synch.

37 minutes ago, Denny said:

Ummmm, what is a loop?

Checked the device manager, but makes no difference.

Loops are a SEQUENCER  feature

19 hours ago, Jimehc said:

director does not like loops...

Agreed director does not like sequences with loops. My director is no longer crashing, however this one sequence still bugs out. It does not crash the director, but the show that contains it stops running, and I have no lights until the start of the next show. 

The sequence is so simple I'm going to try and recreate it from scratch with no loops ever (not even a deleted one) and reload the card again

Never used loops that I know of.  But, I narrowed the problem down to the new director.  I reassigned all the circuits on the CMB controllers to one of the networks that worked before I put the new director in place.  Was afraid to do that though because those networks are pretty full with smart pixels.  Anyway, everything works like it should.  Don't know if it's a problem with the director itself or something happened with the sequences when they were loaded onto that second SD card.  It's a brand new director from LOR, I installed it the day I received it and the problems began.  Guess I will contact LOR support and see if they can help me troubleshoot it.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:20 PM, MattJ said:

I'm going to try and recreate it from scratch with no loops ever (not even a deleted one) and reload the card again

I think Loops was my problem. Recreated the sequence. Reloaded it to the card. No issues anymore. Thanks again folks. Denny, hope you get yours fixed!

Well, if anyone else is having this problem, I contacted LOR support and this is their response.

"It sounds like there maybe some type of issue with your setup and the linked networks. I do not think it is anything you are doing. SYNC is what you would expect to see on the secondary director. If you are willing, after the season we could potentially get copies of your show and set them up here to try to reproduce the issue. We have had a couple of people that have reported issues with linked directors such as you have described but we have not been able to reproduce the issue."

I changed my show around a bit so at least I can run it now without the second director.  Looks like I will send them a copy and see if they can figure out what is going on.

• The topic was locked