Light-O-Rama Forums

S6 won't control the lights when playing a show.

Kuper-Christmas

I upgraded to S6 just a couple weeks ago. Everything seemed to run fine when testing my sequences and shows - - without the lights. After actually setting up my lights, I can control the lights when running the sequencer (one sequence at a time), but can't control the lights when playing a show. There must be a check box somewhere that I missed, but I looked everywhere and can't find anything.

So control panel indicates the show is playing, but the lights are dark? If so, do you still have sequencer opened with the control lights option checked?

I've tried it with the Sequencer open and with it closed, with the Sequencer control lights option checked, and unchecked. No matter what combination I try, the lights don't work when playing the show. The music plays, but the lights are dark.

Break the show down as a test.

Will it play the first sequence from the Sequencer?

If yes, create a show with just that sequence, does it play?

If yes, add another sequence to it, does it play?

Keep going.

Do you have any any mal ware , Windows Defender or any other security software blocking LOR . If yes, Turn off all of the extra junk.

JR

If the sequencer or the HU was opened "after" the CP, whichever or either, will take control of the comm port. You must insure they are closed again to run a show. You can open the sequencer after the show is running but uncheck the control lights option.

I only have the Control Panel open to run the show. The Sequencer is closed and was set to uncheck the control lights option the last time it was used. I've also reinstalled S6.1.4. The show runs, the music is playing, each sequence plays OK. Still - the lights don't go on. (And as I said before, the lights do go on when just using the Sequencer.)

@Kuper-Christmas, what network(s) do you have (USB serial, E1.31,) and what controller types do you have?

I doubt this will fix it, but as an insanity check if the computer is connected to the internet, make sure any pending window updates are done and then restart computer.

I ran into this issue - for me, I have a dedicated server that runs the show, which is different than the PC that I use to create the show.  When I tried to play the sequence on my server, nothing worked. I ended up needing to copy the LORPreviews.xml file in the "CommonData" folder to the equivalent folder on the server in order for it to run.  There should definitely better UX around that experience, because it was highly frustrating.

On 12/2/2022 at 1:28 AM, NateB2 said:

I ran into this issue - for me, I have a dedicated server that runs the show, which is different than the PC that I use to create the show.  When I tried to play the sequence on my server, nothing worked. I ended up needing to copy the LORPreviews.xml file in the "CommonData" folder to the equivalent folder on the server in order for it to run.  There should definitely better UX around that experience, because it was highly frustrating.

Agreed!

On 12/2/2022 at 12:28 AM, NateB2 said:

I ran into this issue - for me, I have a dedicated server that runs the show, which is different than the PC that I use to create the show.  When I tried to play the sequence on my server, nothing worked. I ended up needing to copy the LORPreviews.xml file in the "CommonData" folder to the equivalent folder on the server in order for it to run. 

The standard recommendation when copying data from one computer to another is to copy the entire LOR directory structure.  That gets all required files.  The only time people run into trouble is when they try to get away with coping only some of the files.

@NateB2As someone else that runs my Landscaping show from a server, I am curious what you are using for a server, what ServerOS you have, and did you run into any unique issues because of using a server - I did.  In short, in my case all the files are kept on the file server, and during the off season the show runs from my server, but I have a dedicated show PC that runs the show for Christmas.

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The standard recommendation when copying data from one computer to another is to copy the entire LOR directory structure.  That gets all required files.  The only time people run into trouble is when they try to get away with coping only some of the files.

@NateB2As someone else that runs my Landscaping show from a server, I am curious what you are using for a server, what ServerOS you have, and did you run into any unique issues because of using a server - I did.  In short, in my case all the files are kept on the file server, and during the off season the show runs from my server, but I have a dedicated show PC that runs the show for Christmas.

It's a bit overpowered for just running a light show - I run it from a server I built myself in 2017ish containing a Broadwell Xeon 8-core CPU with 64 GB of ECC RAM, dual 1Gbps Ethernet connections (I use the PixieLink to connect with my LOR controllers), SoundBlaster X-fi dedicated sound card (for audio outputs) running Windows Server 2022.  I've used it for a variety of tasks, but during the Christmas season it exclusively runs the show.  I have to say, with all the slowness I've encountered with the S6 player (especially the long "initialization" routine for running a complex show-on-demand), it's definitely nice to have all that compute power.

Edited by NateB2

Massively over-powered for playing a show.  Mine is a Dell R710 with dual Intel® Xeon® CPU   L5520 @ 2.27GHz processors, 48GB of RAM.  C:\ is two 500GB SSDs in  RAID 1 config with a third drive as a hot standby, and D:\ is four 1TB spinning disks in a RAID 5 config with a fifth drive as a hot standby.  OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Essentials 64-bit
Mine is my domain controller / file server, a web server, and a few minor things.  I run the year round landscape lighting show on it, but from mid October to mid January, I have a dedicated show PC that pretty much does nothing except the light show.  If I really needed to, I can move the three LOR USB adapters from one to the other computer as a backup.

ALL LOR files are kept on the server, although there is backup set of files on the show computer.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Kuper-Christmas, did you get your problem resolved?

• Like 1