Light-O-Rama Forums

Scheduler not starting the new show on time

Andrew.Schaffer@gmail.com

In the new S6 scheduler I am trying to find a way to force a new show to start at a certain time.  My goal is to have a new show play every hour but during the non show time it's just playing a very long sequence that just has all my lights on.  I want to cut that off and start the new show at every hour, but what's happening is it just wants to let the long sequence play out before the new one starts which goes over the hour mark.

Edited by Andrew.Schaffer@gmail.com

• The title was changed to Scheduler not starting the new show on time

If the "long" sequence is a musical sequence (even if that music is silence), it will continue to play to the end of the sequence.  If the "long" sequence is an animation sequence, it will be cut off.

Part two is I see you are new and your suggesting something that is very common for new lighters.  You are suggesting a show that will have some long portion that is static lights.  Unless there is a very specific reason to do so, that is a bad idea.  If people come to see you light show and the lights are just static (or worse, dark), they will just keep on driving and they likely will not come back.

The long sequence is an animated sequence.  I've been doing this for about 8 years, but slowly evolving my show each year.  I can usually figure out my issues and don't normally need to post on this board.  I was able to do it in S5 somehow, but since I've installed S6 I can't go back and see what I did.  The problem in S6 with the animated sequence is that it plays concurrent to the main show.  If it played after the main show was complete moving that sequence to the animation section of the scheduler would solve the problem.

2 hours ago, Andrew.Schaffer@gmail.com said:

The problem in S6 with the animated sequence is that it plays concurrent to the main show

You can put animation sequences in the musical playlist. As mentioned on your FB post, you would have your animation sequence placed in the musical playlist and have the animation duration be one hour minus what your musical sequences add up to, which is shown in the S6 show editor now.

There is a video on how to quickly make these filler sequences that has a quick shortcut I was not aware of until now. 

I was hoping there was a way for LOR to cut the show sequence at the end or beginning of the next show so I didn't need to create an animated sequence for every show, but this should work.  Thank you very much!

If you un-check the box "Turn used lights off at the end of each sequence", then you can make a shorter animation that leaves all the lights on at the end. When the show playing that animation sequence ends, the lights will remain on until the next show starts. Then you can make the first show end with a long enough buffer before the next show starts on time.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:25 PM, k6ccc said:

If the "long" sequence is a musical sequence (even if that music is silence), it will continue to play to the end of the sequence.  If the "long" sequence is an animation sequence, it will be cut off.

Part two is I see you are new and your suggesting something that is very common for new lighters.  You are suggesting a show that will have some long portion that is static lights.  Unless there is a very specific reason to do so, that is a bad idea.  If people come to see you light show and the lights are just static (or worse, dark), they will just keep on driving and they likely will not come back.

Count me as one of the people that have shows at specific times with fillers in between; mostly as it has been the only way (so far) to do what I wish with my setup.

As the fillers are just that: fillers, I don't care if they are cut off before the "show"; I'm not too worried about drive-by's that don't come back (wasn't really a problem in my old house, definitely isn't now); and many who know the setup know when the shows play.

One of the things, though, that would improve access to my show is a better "interactive" procedure...

All of my lights are part of all aspects of the shows and filler sequences, so my desire for interaction is to have the filler sequence normally running, and have a 'Big Red Button' that could be pressed by those walking by, and the filler sequence immediately stops, and a musical sequence starts (which will probably use all of the channels used in the filler). 

While this may be possible in S6, I haven't looked, but it hadn't worked in past versions.  The Jukebox/soundboard method, per se, was encouraging, but in the past it played over an animation or background, and not stopping that filler to play the musical number.  Needless to say, that looked like crap, and defeated the intention to have those walking by to see one of the "show" sequences if it weren't at the scheduled show time.

From a UI perspective, this *could* be implemented as defining a background sequence, and have an option in the interactive group to 'Stop Background Sequence While Interactive is Playing".  Just a thought, ore maybe another feature request.  Till I come up with a better solution, I will do the shows at specific times with a filler in between.