Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Requests: 3D previews, auto-generate models from video

NateB2

I realize this is a huge ask requiring a ton of work, but below are a few features that exist in other products (Twinkly, XLights), and would be incredibly useful for someone like myself who creates sequences based on complex, organic 3D models that change every year.

1. 3D previews.  Both Twinkly and xLights support 3D models and layouts.  This would open up a whole new range of possibilities for sequences - for example, I'm adding some RGB light spheres, and it would be fantastic to create sequences that can fully utilize those 3D shapes.

2. Generating models based on capturing video and analyzing it.  With Twinkly, to set up a layout, you take your phone and go through a mapping process where you point your phone at the lights and a color pattern is displayed on the Twinkly lights.  When it's finished, if you're mapping it in 3D, the lights will light up according to how well they're mapped.  You can then repeat the process from a different angle, repeating as often as necessary so that all the lights indicate they have been mapped.  It is then processed, and a 3D model is generated. I've found a convoluted way of taking the 3D model from Twinkly, exporting it to a 2D XLights model, and importing it into LOR, but that only works if I output to Twinkly lights (via a 3rd-party utility, Artnet2Twinkly). I am working on trying to generate 2D models of the lights controlled by my LOR controllers (they're connected to PixieLink) in xLights (they have a fairly complex process of auto-generating 2D models by capturing video of a test pattern and importing the video into XLights) and exporting them to LOR, but this is not ideal, as they are complex 3D shapes where all the lights aren't visible in one shot.