Light-O-Rama Forums

Different Networks - Can they run on the same Ethernet line

jrcarlton

I have multiple controllers and plan to reconfigure my devices to have like controllers on the same network. Similar to the configuration as outlined in the "Different Networks" on the https://store.lightorama.com/pages/connecting-a-light-o-rama-system page.

My controllers are all simply daisy-chained together.  I have multiple USB-485s and USB-485HS'

My question is: will the Different Networks work correctly on the daisy-chain, or will I need to have each like controllers on its own ethernet cables? If I run them on the same network, will there likely be any degradation?

Thanks in Advance,

Jerry

If all your controllers are compatible, then yes, they could all run on the same network.

However, if you have OLDER controllers that can't run on the higher speeds {500K+} or on an Enhanced Network, you will need to separate them from the others and have to use at least 2 or more networks.  Older controllers like a Gen1 CTB16PC ~AC~ controller can only run at a maximum of 115.4K and NON-Enhanced, so it, or they, would require being on the Regular network, the others could all be on Aux A, Aux B, etc. that can use the Enhanced Protocol and higher speeds, as long as they are Gen3 or higher controllers.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely DO NOT  connect 2 (or more) RS485 adapters on the same cable / daisy chain.

I have built PAIRS of CAT cable split - join adapters. These seem to not cause issues, but then, I have simple sequences.

They are not hard to build IF you have any experience punching down network connections.

(I actually have one the supports 10/100 Ethernet AND LOR going out to my workshop which has a CAT6 installed)

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked