Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 port questions

JIMITHANG

I am new to pixels and have a pixie 8 and pixie 16 which I have added this year.  I am struggling with the "unit ID" when I add a prop to the design.  Here is why:

Lets say I set my Pixie 16 in the HU to Unit ID "10" (I have nothing above 10)  When I go to add a prop like an arch with 100 pixels in the preview there is another place for "Unit ID" what do I use there?  How does the software know which port on the controller that maps to?  For example, if I use the "add a device" and I add a pixie 16 then one by one change the straight lines that are created in the preview to an arch or tree, whatever, how does it know it maps to what port on that pixie 16?  

I have also tried to just "add a prop" selected RGB and then I am faced with the same dilemma again, what unit ID do I use and how to I know what port on the pixie 16 that maps to?  

Sorry, total Newb and super frustrated.  Appreciate your time in advance. 

On the Pixie controllers, each port (or output if you prefer) is a separate Unit ID.  They count in Hex in sequence starting at the Unit ID that you assigned.  Since you assigned Unit ID 10, the 16 ports of the Pixie 16 become:  10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, and 1F.

• Like 1

By the way, you listed your location as northern CA.  That could mean northern Canada or I assume northern California.  A suggestion that a closer location is helpful.  Being able to see that some other forum user is in the next town does a couple things.  It tells you that there is a nearby show you likely want to go visit, and it also means that there is someone close by that either can help you with a problem, or after you have some experience, you can help.  You will notice that most of the experienced forum user are giving fairly accurate locations and many include their show website with generally gives the exact address.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Quick Question. Is it necessary to load the Controllers into the Sequences? If So, How do I get them to SYNC? I am currently using 3 CBT16's and 1 Pixie 16

2 hours ago, Mica said:

Quick Question. Is it necessary to load the Controllers into the Sequences? If So, How do I get them to SYNC? I am currently using 3 CBT16's and 1 Pixie 16

I'm not understanding your question.  Yes, you would add any additional controllers into your Preview and then in Sequencer you would sequence them.  But I suspect that is not what you re asking.

I had simply built my sequences in the sequencer without loading any of my controllers in the preview. It wasn't until I bout a Christmas sequence from LOR that I even thought about it. Lol everything ran perfectly in my play show, so I wasn't sure if it was necessary. 

In my defense this is my first year. 

That statement does not make any sense.  If you don't have the channels in the Preview, there are no sequencing lines in the Sequencer.

Note, I said channels, not controllers..  Controllers are irrelevant, channels in props are what matters.

Success begins with a Preview that has all the props correctly identified including the channels each control unit will be using.

When you first set up a prop a dialog box pops up where you choose Traditional(AC) or RGB(pixels), The shape of your prop and how many lights, Then the Unit ID(s) and which circuit(s) is used.

AC controllers use 1 unit ID with 16 channels or circuits. Most people put up to four of these at the beginning of the list labeled Unit 1 Unit 2 etc. 

Putting them at the beginning keeps the numbering easy and follows the pattern used if you buy sequences from LOR. There are a bunch of good videos to help you get started.

LOR ID order can be found in the Yellow Book that comes with each controller and on the website. They are not just numbers in order. They follow a pattern.

First 30 ID's: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E

When assigning unit ID, with the hardware utility, to a new Pixie Controller you enter the Unit ID you want to start with and each following port will be automatically assigned. Never use a port ID twice on another controller in your setup. So lets say you have a pixie 8 and start with Unit  05 (It will number as 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0C 0D)

If you add another controller you would start that with 0E.

A Pixie 4 uses 4 unit ID's - A Pixie 16 uses 16 unit ID's

If you add a 50 node string of RGB pixels to a port on your pixie it will use 150 channels (each pixel needs 3 channels - one red - one green - one blue)   

This is a very basic overview. The help documents have detailed instructions for each step.

Here is a link to the LOR YouTube tutorial that gives a great example with some of the windows you will see. There are lots more tutorials as well.

Edited by lightsintheforest

Two other notes on Unit IDs.  One is that the IDs count in hexadecimal - lightsithforest alluded to that without explaining what it was.  Second is that with an Advanced or Pro level software license, you can use any available ID.  That means that there is essentially zero need to not skipping numbers.  In other words, you can leave gaps in numbering in order to have it make sense and more importantly, leave room for expansion.  For example, if you start with four 16 channel controllers, and use IDs 01, 02, 03, & 04, then later buy a Pixie4, not a great idea to start it at ID 05 (which would use IDs 05, 06, 07, & 08).  The reason is that if you later add another 16 or 24 channel controller, your non-pixel controllers IDs will be scattered   Additionally, if you have multiple LOR networks, the same ID numbers on different networks is allowed, but not overly recommended.  For example, Regular network Unit ID 11 and AuxA network Unit ID 11 are totally separate.  However it can be more confusing for us humans.  The software, controller, and sequencing is perfectly happy with Regular 11 and AuxA 11.

• Like 1