Light-O-Rama Forums

Relay switched for entire schedule.

shoafm10

Hello!

I want to know if its possible to have a couple of specific outlets switched on for the entire schedule that it is running the sequences. I don't want to have to go into each sequence and turn that single channel on as I fear it will turn off every time the shows "boot". I want something separate that comes on before the sequences start, and turns off after the show is over. This will basically trigger all the power being sent to the alpha pix controllers, FM transmitter, and some other things I don't want on 24/7.

Thanks!

Why not a simple time clock outlet? (be sure to not use one that does not have a Relay if you are connecting electronics)

I have a number of these, I turn off my DC controllers during the day as they pull 25-50W idle (PSU... )

In addition, this randomly tripped the GFCI when turning a bunch on at the same time, so I built a relay box that monitors the Aux Power (pins 3+6) from the previous Controller, so it stages the power up.

[img] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i4Rq0HMi8JrbM70O_cT57iF-ereqJ5G6/view?usp=share_link  [/img]

I also use Photo cell outlets after the timer (timer sets the possible show times), the photocell waits till it get dark enough. You can now find these as 1 unit, BUT make sure they are safe for electronics, which is why I used hardwired photo cells that have relays  (or bi metal contacts. You can hear them click ON)

I would agree with TheDucks, use a clock timer.  Your local hardware of home improvement store (or even Walmart) carries them.

On the other hand, the general recommendation is to leave everything on.  Less likely to have thing fail when left on rather than power cycling all the time.

I agree with the timers as well.  There is a way to do it however.  If you're plugging the power supplies into an AC Controller, I'd advise against it as the power surge on may be greater than the 8amp the channel can handle.  I have used a 120v 15A relay to control certain props in the past.  I used an CMB24D controller to activate it.  You just use a single channel per relay rather than using it to control a 3 channel RGB prop.  Create a sequence that only has the channels used to drive the Relay(s) and set it as a "Background" Sequence in your Show Editor.

1 hour ago, Little_b said:

Create a sequence that only has the channels used to drive the Relay(s) and set it as a "Background" Sequence in your Show Editor.

Note:  That sequence needs to be using a separate preview that ONLY has the one channel, and your "normal" preview MUST NOT have that channel.