Light-O-Rama Forums

Changes to Preview

rick gurnee

This is my first year using S5.  I used S4 for many years before this.  In testing my Christmas display I realized I needed to make a few changes to my preview. (for example, I had a Pixel tree with the controller at the top and defined the controller at the bottom in the preview.  Of course, everything ran upside down).  In version 4 I would update the config file and then go into each song and import the new config file.  I have a lot of songs and this would take some time.

In S5, is there any way to update all of my songs to use the latest version of the preview?  I tried rerunning the compressor but that continued to use the older version.  The only way I can see to do this is to edit each song and save it.

OK, never mind.  I was looking in the wrong place.  The compressor does use the latest version of the preview to create the playback files.  I was looking at the LOREDIT file using an XML editor.  This file does not get changed until I open it in the sequencer.  

Yep.  Update the preview and either the compressor, or the player (on first showing) will update the sequences.  Much easier in S5 / S6.

Thanks, Jim, for confirming what I thought.  I'm a stickler for details so please confirm the following. 

When I create a sequence the Sequencer creates a file xxx.LOREDIT

When I run the compressor (or play xxx in a show) lor creates files xxx.nnnn.mmm.LMS and  xxx.nnnn.mmm.PE.LID and  xxx.nnnn.mmm.LCS where mmm is the revision number of the preview and I'm not sure what nnnn is.  these files are put in directory LORInternal/Playback/L

When I run a show with xxx in the show the LMS, LCS and LID files are what is used.  (and they are created on the fly if they are not current.)

So if I update the preview the LOREDIT file does not get updated until the next time I open xxx in the sequencer and save it.  However, that doesn't matter because it is the LMS/LCS/LID  files that are used during the show and they have been updated.

So, if I make a change to the preview it is important to run the compressor.  If not, as each song starts the playback files will have to be recreated and that can take a significant amount of time when my display will be black.

I think I may have known all of this back in the spring when I first started working with S5, but it is not until I put it in practice that it really starts to sink in.

Incidentally, the compressor is gone in S6. All the playback file creation is handled in the new control panel 

Just to be perfectly accurate, the playback file names that LOR generates for sequence xxx are xxx.nnnn.mmm.play.lms and  xxx.nnnn.mmm.play.lms.pe.lid and  xxx.nnnn.mmm.play.lms.lcs

As I stated before the mmm is the preview revision number.  Does anyone know what the nnnn stands for.  I have seen 0000 0005 and 0006.