Light-O-Rama Forums

Show freezes up after first song

Donl1150

It’s been a long day as I am trying to get my Christmas show finalized.   I thought I would run the show in the house just using the PC with the black adapter plugged in.  For some reason, when I do a Show on Demand, it plays the first song and then freezes up before it switches to the next song.  But let me explain my layout.  

I am running a standard LOR network driving 4 CTB 16 controllers on a black adapter.  In addition, I have a red adapter on a high speed AUX network driving 4 Pixie controllers.  Lastly, the audio channels for all songs are all from mp4 video files that will be on an HDMI port to a short throw video projector. 

Could it be the black adapter is set too slow at 57k?   The red network is at 1000k.  Or perhaps the red adapter also needs to be plugged in to run the show in this fashion?

I will try tomorrow with the system totally plugged in outside but thought I would see if anyone had thoughts for me that I could try tomorrow.   Thanks!

Yes, the adapters do need to be plugged in for any show to run.  There does not need to be controllers connected, but the network adapters do.

And 57K for a network with four 16 channel controllers is fine.

thanks for that Jim.  I have now plugged in both the black and red adapters and tried to run the show on the PC.   The first sequence plays but at the transition to the second one, the screen flickers and then nothing shows.  I have tried on both my PC & Mac and the same thing happens.  I will hook everything up to the adapters outside in a few hours and try it.  I hope that is the answer but thought I would post what seems to be happening.  BTW I am running S5 version of LOR.

Well Jim, that did not solve the problem.  Plugged in both adapters to the networks and started the show.  First sequence plays just fine then when it attempts to go to the next one, the screen flickers and the show stops dead.  Tried creating a different show with just 2 sequences, same thing happens.  Could it be a hardware issue...like a bad adapter maybe?

Also, I tried submitting a ticket to the Help desk and I get a message a password change is needed in order to continue.  I did that, logged out, logged back in and get the same message to create a new password.  A continual loop and I can't get a message to the Help desk.  Frustrating to say the least.

I replied to your message however to let some others know that may find this searching the forums.

A corrupt audio file or audio file conversion can create this situation. Especially when the user is trying to convert audio from other website videos such as youtube.

I would attempt to reconvert the audio and if you are using a "borrowed" audio file see if you can match up the song with a site purchased audio file such as Amazon.

JR

• Like 1

Since you are playing from a computer (at least for now), left click on the LOR light bulb in the system tray and that will bring up the status window.  It will give you some indication of why a sequence failed to play.  If it makes no sense to you, there is a Copy button that will copy the log to the Windows clipboard.  Then paste that into a message here and we'll see if someone here can see what's going on.  In fact, unless the problem is massively obvious, go ahead and past the log into a message here.

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, the adapters do need to be plugged in for any show to run.  There does not need to be controllers connected, but the network adapters do.

And 57K for a network with four 16 channel controllers is fine.

Even though I only have 1 CTB16PC {older Gen1V2 board}, I found running mine at 115.4K helped with a few issues I was having, even though it's on a separate network from my CCB100D 5V {Aux B} and Pixie16D 12V {Aux A}.   I have a total of 3-CTB16PC controllers, but only using 1 for my 2022 Christmas display this year.

23 hours ago, Donl1150 said:

For some reason, when I do a Show on Demand, it plays the first song and then freezes up before it switches to the next song

Not sure if you are still seeing this issue or not. I would agree a bad audio file could be at play here, but what you first described as a freeze sounds like the player trying to compress the sequence before playback. In S5, it will check if a sequence needs to be compressed or not, and if so, it will compress it before playing it. This process can take some time and sounds like your freeze, but it could be something else. If you open up the Control Panel window from the system tray, it should show that in the log output.

The easier thing to do may be to just run the sequence compressor on the show first, then run the show on demand. This will ensure all sequences are ready for playback without any pause between them. Once you change your preview design or sequence, the compression will be run again, so keep that in mind as well.

In S6, the workflow is more straightforward and apparent. One main difference is if the sequences are not prepared before the show playing, the show doesn't start playing until all sequences are ready to play, eliminating the potential pause between songs.