Light-O-Rama Forums

Minor nit/feature-request

randyf

As previously mentioned, I have a new machine for playing shows.  I'm trying to keep it as uncluttered as possible, so transferring only those files needed by the show player (which probably spawns other questions).  Unfortunately, sometimes I don't get them all, so a show/sequence won't play.

While the log does mention the error, it mostly mentions that a file is missing (most often the "media file").  While it isn't that hard to work out the problem, it would also be nice to include the path to the file it cannot find, as the solution might come a little quicker.

If the Media File was in the reported path - it would find it....

That 'Path" is reported in the Sequence

Edited by Jimehc

11 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

If the Media File was in the reported path - it would find it....

That 'Path" is reported in the Sequence

Indeed, and while I could open the sequence to find the file, that is a further set of steps.  If the player log specified the pathname of the file it could not find, the solution might be as easy as just fetching the missing file or moving it to the proper location.

This isn't a big deal, but when a log file is available I would prefer to see: "Cannot find the media file: <path-to-missing-file>" rather than just "Cannot find the media file".

I had noticed that the New Show not only had the "dot", but hovering on the dot provided the path so that information is available.  But if playing an override sequence (which is what I've been doing a bit recently so as to avoid opening the sequencer or crating a temporary show on a dedicated show machine) does not report this information.  Playing a sequence through the override with an error just plain won't play and the log only says a file is missing.  Note, that I haven't verified what would happen if an update to a sequence in an existing show had a missing file.

As stated in my title, this is a minor nit or or possibly a a feature request as we have both suggested the information is out there.  But since there is a log entry, it would be preferable to me to also include detailed information about errors, rather than some general message.

Thanks for the feedback! The Player Log in the next release will include the full path to the media file if it wasn't found.