Light-O-Rama Forums

First time, this is what I got to start with....

tonlocvw

Picked up D Light controller. 

First thing I see I think it might be missing the 2ed incoming power cord. Ill get one on amazon. The next thing I think I need is to buy the light program from LOR. Cat5 cable to hook up to PC. Then I'm ready to buy a couple songs on ebay to start out. Oh I'll hook up PC to receiver to my outdoor speakers. 

How does this sound so far? What am I missing? 

Edit. Will be using existing led string lights for simplicity for a while. No RGB. 

Edit2. Seller had another controller I am swapping with. Other one has the 2ed plug. 

20221107_143714.jpg

20221107_143708.jpg

Edited by tonlocvw
Adding info

Just to be clear, these are not LOR controllers, these are D-light, but you already know that. they will work with LOR software in DMX mode.

I don't know if anyone still has the D-light hardware utility as they went out of business years ago, but you will need that to set the unit ID, so maybe ask the seller if they can send you a copy? Otherwise your stuck with whatever the current ID is. Doing some searches I found some websites that might have copies, but download at your own risk.

You might also want to confirm what the pin out on these are as typical LOR networks use pins 4-5 for data. I can't remember if these are using 1-2, or 4-5. If they are using pins 1-2 you will need to make a crossover cable for the LOR dongle.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add a relevant thread about using D-light with LOR:

Looking through that thread it seems they are using pins 4-5 like LOR so you likely won't need a crossover cable.

Edit 2: Just to be clear, you will need a LOR RS485 dongle. Do not plug these into your eithernet ports as you will just fry the NIC.

Edited by canadianchristmas
More info added
  • Thanks 1

Well going to hook up a second power cord myself now.

To follow up to your reply; what if I can't set the unit ID? This will be my only unit. Will this hinder me from using the unit?

I don't know what pins your calling out? So I hope I don't need to do anything on that front.

I will order dongle and cat5 cable to reach PC.

I do understand different company but heard it was pretty much the same at LOR. I'll have to remember DMX setting.

1 hour ago, tonlocvw said:

Well going to hook up a second power cord myself now.

To follow up to your reply; what if I can't set the unit ID? This will be my only unit. Will this hinder me from using the unit?

I don't know what pins your calling out? So I hope I don't need to do anything on that front.

I will order dongle and cat5 cable to reach PC.

I do understand different company but heard it was pretty much the same at LOR. I'll have to remember DMX setting.

DO NOT just install a second power cord. Just like LOR units, that one appears to be configured for single cord.

See that (horrors) Green-yellow between the 2 whites?       The Horrors is because GREEN IS GROUND THE WORLD AROUND and is never supposed to carry normal current

I suspect there is a similar Black  jumper from the Left to the Right (Fuse).

If you need to dual cord, BOTH need to be removed

• Like 1

Yes I will remove that jumper and do a separate cord matching the other side of the board. Thanks for the checking up.

You don't need to alter it back to two power cords unless you are running higher current draw strings light C9 incans. If you are running only LED's, don't bother.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

You don't need to alter it back to two power cords unless you are running higher current draw strings light C9 incans. If you are running only LED's, don't bother.

1 cord (14 ga or larger) is good for 12A continuous.  The whole point of our hobby is to NOT be continuous  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dgrant said:

I finally removed the 2nd power cord from all my AC controllers last year and added the jumpers between the sides since I am 100% LED.  I am using the extra power cords on new controllers as I build them.

• Like 1