Light-O-Rama Forums

My Mega Tree just fell! :(

Al Saunders

This is will be our 4th year with our 22' mega tree and got it set up over the weekend. I was on my mower and ducked under a guide wire but got caught on the arm rest on my zero turn. It was standing but the wires were loose mostly from the one that I snagged. I went to tighten the loose wire, BY MYSELF, and didn't hold onto the wire. Watched it go towards the tree and thought would be it. Then...TIMBER!! 

The topper was from Christmas Light Show and the bar on the side that hit the ground broke at the weld and the bars on the sides of the pulley bent really bad. Thankfully out of 96 strings I only lost 6 strings so I just ordered what I needed from Holiday Lights Express. I'm hoping I can find a new tree topper after posting this. Could have been much worse, falling on me! As disappointing as this is, my wife and I are looking at it as a blessing since it happened so early in the month and we're able to order more lights. 

Moral of the story, be careful around your mega tree and if by chance you need to adjust any of the guidelines, make sure to have help. 

Happy lighting friends! 

I will just say that me and my CLS MT have been there a couple of times.

Glad you are OK.

We dont heal as fast as we used to.

JR

Good time to remind everyone that this is the time of the year that ER's see a lot more injuries from people putting up lights. Falls being a very high cause of those visits. I was one of them back in 2016! As for MegaTrees, I suggest putting on small zip ties on the guide wires so we don't run our necks into them, or mowers.

Edit: High is in altitude above the ground. Never high as in messed up. My stupidity on taking chances on a ladder, on unsafe ground. DUH mistake and I paid the price.

Edited by dgrant

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

Good time to remind everyone that this is the time of the year that ER's see a lot more injuries from people putting up lights. Falls being a very high cause of those visits. I was one of them back in 2016! As for MegaTrees, I suggest putting on small zip ties on the guide wires so we don't run our necks into them, or mowers.

I am one of those that had to visit the ER. Dislocated my arm and fractured my shoulder on Oct 11th. I was putting up my Halloween lights when the ladder decided it had enough of me bouncing around on it . I always knew this hobby was expensive, but not once did I ever think it would try to take me out. Needless to say, I am done for the season.

Edited by gsmith37064

20 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

This is will be our 4th year with our 22' mega tree and got it set up over the weekend. I was on my mower and ducked under a guide wire but got caught on the arm rest on my zero turn. It was standing but the wires were loose mostly from the one that I snagged. I went to tighten the loose wire, BY MYSELF, and didn't hold onto the wire. Watched it go towards the tree and thought would be it. Then...TIMBER!! 

The topper was from Christmas Light Show and the bar on the side that hit the ground broke at the weld and the bars on the sides of the pulley bent really bad. Thankfully out of 96 strings I only lost 6 strings so I just ordered what I needed from Holiday Lights Express. I'm hoping I can find a new tree topper after posting this. Could have been much worse, falling on me! As disappointing as this is, my wife and I are looking at it as a blessing since it happened so early in the month and we're able to order more lights. 

Moral of the story, be careful around your mega tree and if by chance you need to adjust any of the guidelines, make sure to have help. 

Happy lighting friends! 

I sent you a message

Yeah for me 2019 setup was the year to go to the ER. I fell from a 12' A-frame ladder and fractured a rib. Needless to say we rent a lift now. LOL 

Update, the new lights from HLE are already on the way and should be here Saturday! Thankfully, Christmas Light Show had a pulley head in stock so I ordered it! Also ordered a 3 point clamp on guy wire clamp from 3G Creations as a backup once we get the mega tree back up. 👍

As long as I have all the parts, my brother in law who helps me with the large items will come back next Friday. 

13 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I am one of those that had to visit the ER. Dislocated my arm and fractured my shoulder on Oct 11th. I was putting up my Halloween lights when the ladder decided it had enough of me bouncing around on it . I always knew this hobby was expensive, but not once did I ever think it would try to take me out. Needless to say, I am done for the season.

I almost forgot about this happening to you. Hopefully you are feeling better now

JR