Light-O-Rama Forums

What to buy to get started

JoshL

I'm sure this is covered in here but wanted to ask. I'm looking to start by simply doing RGB Bullet or square pixels, lining my house eve's and programming them. Looking to see what all i need to do this. Could i do just the length of pixels i need and the Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package or will i need something else? Would love to be able to customize each pixel and setup simple shows. Thanks for the advice in advance. Complete newbie here but somewhat tech savvy. 

Wrong package (for Pixels). That is an AC controller. You plug in light strings like you buy at Walmart

What you describe wanting is more like  https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-packages/products/pixie-16-bundle

BUT Wait

Unlike AC where a longer cord is fine, Smart RGB has limits on length to first node (IMHO stay 10% under that)

2+ smaller (port count) units might fit your site better.  Make a (scaled if possible) drawing of where you are want to put lights . Label the runs length.

Ribbons tend to be 5M (16'), Bullets have a lighted length value. Both type typically allow 100 nodes (2 strings) end to end without doing additional Power Injection

So eg. you could do 64' by putting 2 strands (100 nodes), a Pixie2, 2 more strands.  (I call this a 'T' arrangement. controller in the middle)

If you think you want to do Windows/doors later, you might want to do this with a Pixie 4 or 8 and have spare ports

Another thing to add is Extension cables for the RGB dongles (when the controller is only near the lights). These are not generic AC extension cords.