Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming Curve for LED Strings

Steven

One new feature in S6 is the use of Dimming Curves in software for older AC controllers on non-enhanced networks.

I am using this for my AC LED strings, since we all know from experimentation that LED strings don't have a linear dimming curve.

However, I noticed there are no dimming curves for "LED strings". The existing dimming curves didn't seem to do what I wanted, so I made my own! I used the Hardware Utility to set the percentage until the lights "seemed" to be at 1%, 25%, 50%, and 75%. Then I scaled from 100 to 255 and put these values in a dimming curve file. I created 2 files: One for the strings that have 25 bulbs per segment (blue and green), and one for strings that have 50 bulbs per segment (red).

I attach the files I created for your experimentation. The files go in the Plugins\DimmingCurves folder. Let me know if this was a total waste of time. :-)

LED_25.xml LED_50.xml

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Pixels are made using LED's -

True, but pixels are dimmed by switching a DC current on and off, allowing a linear curve of light output. I believe the "PixelCurve" is there because human eyes see brightness in a log scale.

On the other hand, AC LED strings are dimmed by switching a sine wave at a determined angle before its zero crossing. This results in non-linear behavior. AC controllers are designed for incandescent lights, in which the instantaneous power is proportional to the square of the instantaneous voltage of the sine wave. An LED has a constant voltage, so it tends to saturate at higher dim levels.

My LED strings tend to be completely dark at 14%, and fully bright at about 65%. My dimming curve mostly goes between these values.

Might I point out that Pixies (and other LOR RGB controllers) Expect LED and not Incan (do the even do RGB in Incan that could be used with other thn DMX?)

So I expect the curve to be correct.  😉

Got em,  fired up MS edge and it let me get them.  Thanks!  Will play with them after the storm!

Edited by bdwillie

1 hour ago, bdwillie said:

Just downloaded and will experiment after Ian gets out of here!

Good luck with that.  I think you're goona get wet....

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Good luck with that.  I think you're goona get wet....

Didn't do too bad in Jacksonville.  We were very fortunate thank God!  less than 2 inches of rain and winds gusted up to I think 40 mph.  Came out the state below us and curved around us on it's way to South Carolina.  Didn't loose power, but the UPS on the server did kick in a few times when the lights flickred.

• Like 1