Light-O-Rama Forums

LORInternal\CanonicalAudio question

bdwillie

What exactly is this folder for.  Mine is chock full of wav audio files, many I haven't used in a few years, or items I tinkered with for other folks and never used for me at all.  I am guessing that LOR takes my mp3 files, and converts them to wav and saves them?  I am assuming I can go in and remove the audio not used anymore?  If I delete them all will the software rebuild what it needs for this years show?  I am assuming these files have been accumulating, and added to even with the new software installs since I just install in the same directory with each software upgrade.  Discovered all these files when updating the show computer to 6.10, I actually sat and watched the file transfers in FileZilla from the server and that's when I discovered all these old extra files being moved.  Checked the sequencing computer in the house and there they were too!  When I run my backups (I'm Lazy) I just drag the entire LOR directory to an external drive, overwrite all, then drag the LOR directory to my server, again overwrite all.  Then when updating the show computer, I just drag the entire LOR directory from the server to the show computer.  I keep the same software version on both and have never had a problem doing it this way.

Thanks!

Edited by bdwillie

I can't say about S5 or later, haven't learned much about that one yet, as my S5 learning computer went belly up.  Working on getting it fixed or replaced.

But I still use S4 presently, and I believe the WAV files are used when the "Use Internal Media" is checked in the Sequencer for better playback when testing and building a musical sequence on the computer(S4).  As far as I know it's only for playback issues within the sequencer, once saved as the external file for use in a show, it uses the MP3 audio file that was selected.  I used to delete them in S4, now I just leave them alone for the most part, but the musical sequence if loaded back into the sequencer, at least in S4, and the folder or WAV files had been deleted, will recreate the folder and the WAV files.

Other than that, I don't think they are used anywhere else, unless that is the type of file{WAV} you used when you created the musical sequence in the sequencer(S4).

Haven't had much or enough experience with S5 or even looked to see if that folder, and if WAV files, were/are still used in the newer LOR software versions S5-S6.

BTW: even if that option, "Use Internal Media" IS NOT selected, the folder and WAV files are still created, at least in S4 they are.

I did find, sometimes using the internal media option will smooth the playback over some MP3 files that cause slowdowns in the sequencer, especially when using the animation options or the visualizer in S4.  That using the internal media may prevent slow-downs or pauses when playing back during the sequencer playback {especially if a lot of RGB channels are involved}.   Don't know if the newer S5-S6 versions still have the option to select it on or off, perhaps LOR built it in on the newer versions as always selected and may still use them?

Just thinking if they are still being created in S5-S6, they would still be used for some reason.  Otherwise, why create a folder and files that would serve no real purpose?

That Folder is still in use with S6 - those are the MP3 Audio Files processed by Sequencer when you open a sequence and are used for Audio Effects and Preview Playback... If you delete the wav files - they will be recreated when you open the sequence in sequencer..