Light-O-Rama Forums

Very new to this and trying to wrap my head around this.

RobZulu

So, im very new to LOR. Im putting together a show that incorporates Projection and LOR usage. While I can build anything just by sight, Creativity is where I am lacking so some folks have been kind enough to send me sequences they have made. I have a few questions as im trying to wrap my head around this.

Currently my system is 1 16 Ch Controller, 8 RGB 10W Flood system with controller.

understanding my system is small, the sequences that have been shared have all been far more channels than I have. Is there a simple way to whittle these massive amount of channels down to my 24?

Thanks all, and looking forward to learning this.

Welcome to the madness!

IF you look at the top of the left hand column where all of your channels are listed, at the top you should something like "Track 1" or "Show All Items." To the right of that you will see drop down arrow and right next to that, another drop down arrow. Click on that second dropdown arrow. The first item in that dropdown is Add New View. Click that.

You will get a popup box to create a new view. Enter a new name for your view (ex. My View, New View, something that you will remember). When you click OK, you will get another popup where you can select which props to add to this new view. Select your 24 props (or select by group). After you've selected what you want, click OK. And your new view will be created.

Go back to the first left hand dropdown and click that arrow and you will see your new view. Click on it and you should only see your 24 props. 

Now, to make life easy for yourself, click again on dropdown to the right (the one use clicked to create the view) and down a little ways you see the Export and Import options. Export this view. Then every time you open a sequence for the first time with the same Preview, IMPORT the view you just created and select it. You only need to create the view once and then you can re-import for every sequence that uses that same preview. 

DO NOT DELETE any of those other channels. As you expand your display, you are likely to want to use them! Anytime you want to see them, just switch to one of the other views. As they become a more permanent part of your display, add them to the view you just created, re-export and then re-import the next time you open up any of your sequences. 

More channels (in sequences is not bad), just set those to an unused ID (on an existing Network. Unfortunately LOR does not have a devnull network to park unused stuff on). You only have 2 ID's in use.  (A null network would allow for disabling a channel or ID without failing verification)

First, you can only use 2 types of channels: 1) AC (single color strings/bulbs) 2) DUMB RGB (the floods) .

So pick 8 color ports (really 3 because they are RGB grouped channels) out of the sequence and assign them to the ID and actual channels (AKA the Red, the B n G auto assign).

Now pick 16 monochrome channels and assign them to the AC controller (ID)

Do you have a Preview? Are they not labeled? Can you post of screen shot of your Sequence within Sequence editor so we can see what you are looking at. Then we might have a better idea of how to help you.   You should be able to ask for a copy of the String Summary from whomever you got them from. That would list all of the prop names and channel configurations for the Preview for that sequence. 

A lot of people over think sequencing - AC lights compared to RGB...

RGB Lights can change color, AC lights do not....

You can copy AC sequence rows to RGB sequence rows..

You can copy a RGB sequence row to an AC sequence row...

What you are looking for is the lighting patterns

Edited by Jimehc

30 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

A lot of people over think sequencing - AC lights compared to RGB...

RGB Lights can change color, AC lights do not....

You can copy AC sequence rows to RGB sequence rows..

You can copy a RGB sequence row to an AC sequence row...

What you are looking for is the lighting patterns

+1

And now that I think about it, you can create a default preview that will at least show you all the bulbs and make it a little easier to see the patterns.

TLlogan.. I have a preview but no idea how to send it to you. Its very simple. I have 4 10W Floods on either side of the front door. This would be for ambient fill lighting taking over for when there is no projection on the house. This is where I want 90 percent of my lighting to be focused. I have a bunch of blow mold decorations for the 16ch which I have no questions on. Its these RGB that im trying to figure out. For instance. If you take a look at the World of Color Flood Test that Listentomylights has posted on Youtube. thats what im looking to do (just being triggered on MP4 instead of MP3). I was able to get another one but it has what seems like hundreds of sequences, ide just like to integrate thee show on my RGB

P.S. That guy got these lights to do things ive been trying for weeks to do.

2 hours ago, RobZulu said:

Thanks for the direction. The Ducks, How do I tell from the hundreds of channels in said sequence that its a rgb flood channel?

I still USE S4 in the Sequence editor: The Color ports use a RGB stripe at the beginning of a row after the number). Any RGB row could be used with a Flood out of the box.  (Smart nodes have a ROW per node)

What I am trying to say, is, does that port make a pleasing effect when used with Floods?  Pull the LOR standard sequence ASSIGNMENT chart from their site. It shows LOR ID's and a general purpose they hold. Some are the Main outlines, some are for fill, some are for optional accents. Not all are expected to be used (but you can if you got the stuff). If you don't use LOR sequences, you need the sequencers version of their chart. Hopefully, that sequence allow you to make channel assignment changes because YOU only have 2 ID's to play with.

I'm doing projection this year for both Halloween and Christmas. Its my first time attempting this. So far, I created an interface for the projection screen so I can control it with LOR and the projector is 4100 ANSI Lumens, not lumens(led). Should be plenty bright. For the most part, I'm using the motion effects to use a video media file instead of a sound file. Now getting the video off a monitor to the projector...I have two ways, either a direct HDMI cable or a Cat7 cable via ethernet converters and I had to find a DVI/HDMI powered splitter that will handle 60fps at 1080P. This all sounds simple enough but also have to consider the screen itself. Motorized? Weather resistant? What's going to hold it for best viewing for the cars passing by? Fabrication of a weather resistant box with fans? The projector puts off a LOT of heat and it "must" be taken into consideration. Not a single projector out there is waterproof so that too must be considered. Commanding the projector on/off comes into play. Back to the screen, if motorized, how are you going to control it unless you plan on being there to lower it in the evening and raise it back up? Is your computer up to the task with a fast multiple port output card(GPU)? Next and last on the list is the sequencing for it. Whatever video you are going to project, you'll need your video source and convert as needed to get it to work with LOR. I've been working on mine all summer. Purchased the screen, rated for outdoor usage but not waterproof. Built a support frame to hold it. Interface as mentioned to work the commands with LOR and timing.  Fabricated a box for the projector, two fans going in and one fan going out plus the main opening for the lens. Short throw projector, in my case, Optoma EH460ST. Cat7 ethernet interface for HDMI. I still have to add a rain cover for the screen to help keep serious water from flooding over it.

I've already verified that it all works so this should be a good season.

Edited by dgrant

• The topic was locked