Light-O-Rama Forums

how to Shorten christmas lights that have a capped false socket

Dr_Aplet

I have a set of led mini lights that has sections and in between each section is a thing that looks like a capped off socket.  I believe this is a capacitor to smooth out the flicker.  there are no sections with 2 wires how do i shorten these lights.  I need to cut this set in half but cannot find the usual 2 wire section.  see the picture below.  I am hanging lights on my gable and would like to cut them to fit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XZ7pysFiNqKRMXiUhQ-lBFmP4FzdiyPz/view?usp=sharing

As that thing is in series with the bulbs, it's probably a resistor. In your picture, it appears the 2 wire section is in your palm. Can you cut it there?

9 minutes ago, Steven said:

As that thing is in series with the bulbs, it's probably a resistor. In your picture, it appears the 2 wire section is in your palm. Can you cut it there?

Wow, I was so focused on what side to the "resistor" to cut i completely missed that.  I will throw a couple vampire plugs on it.

12 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

Wow, I was so focused on what side to the "resistor" to cut i completely missed that.  I will throw a couple vampire plugs on it.

That device can be anyplace in the segment. Only cut at the 2 wire on the Original strings plug end

8 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That device can be anyplace in the segment. Only cut at the 2 wire on the Original strings plug end

what is that does anyone know?  I would think something to smooth out the ripples from the LEDs only using half the wave.  Perhaps a rectifier??  i am not strong enough in component level electronics to know what they are doing.

25 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

what is that does anyone know?  I would think something to smooth out the ripples from the LEDs only using half the wave.  Perhaps a rectifier??  i am not strong enough in component level electronics to know what they are doing.

I suspect it is just a rectifier. The ripple is not a big thing to most  people (there are a few that can see the flicker)

23 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

It is definitely a resistor. Here is what those "blobs" in an AC LED string are:

• If it has 2 leads (and is in series with the LEDs) then it is a resistor.
  • If it is a plug or socket and has 2 wires, then it is half of a full-wave rectifier (2 diodes). (The other half will be on the other end.)
  • If it is in the middle of the string and has 3 wires on both sides, then it is 2 halves of a full-wave rectifier. (The other half will be on the plug or socket).
  • Some off-brand strings will have a full-wave rectifier on the plug end, with 2 wires, and send rectified AC down to the end of the string.

If you really want to know (and one of your strings doesn't work), then cut it open. For a less destructive investigation, unplug the string, stick 2 pins into the wires on each side of the blob, and measure its resistance with multi-meter.