Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple strings for prop definition in S6

yffej151963

I am using S6..1.0. I have a prop I purchased from EFL that contains 500 pixels. The imported prop definition in LOR has only a single output string for the entire 500 pixels. I want to break that up at least into two strings but how to do this is not obvious.

I am pretty new, but I noticed in xlights the prop is split into two strings and each maps to a controller output.

Is there a way to break this into two in the prop definition?

If the prop has 500 Pixels - and you are using LOR Controller - then it might be best to consider 5 strings of 100 pixels (as LOR has 170 Pixels of max Data on a Pixie Port)

Also which EFL Prop you trying to use??

Edited by Jimehc

I have a very similar problem with the GE Spooky Tree (394 pixels).  I imported the prop definition, but it only creates one unit id (I want 4 for a Pixie4).  I set max circuit to 300, and it creates a carryover of 882.  No matter what I check box wise, I can't create the other 3 unit ids with the corresponding circuits broken out.  I tried creating my own custom prop and it had the same results.  Picture of my prop definition:

Screenshot 2022-09-11 185302.jpg

The EFL prop I have imported is the Running Deer. I am using a FalconV3. The string breakdown was in a demo sequence from EFL.

The EFL prop is not defined for LOR. I imported the XLights prop. The XLights prop file does not show any string breakdown. Xllights lets you define string count and the starting nodes for each string in your layout.

@JimehcThat one worked as expected.  Thank you!

Where did you get it from?  When I selected to import the one from Gilbert Engineering I had the troubles I explained above.

Thanks! That is what I was trying to do, but the prop editor did not seem to allow me to a second string. Did you edit the exported prop file?

14 hours ago, hasslerk said:

I have a very similar problem with the GE Spooky Tree (394 pixels).  I imported the prop definition, but it only creates one unit id (I want 4 for a Pixie4).  I set max circuit to 300, and it creates a carryover of 882.  No matter what I check box wise, I can't create the other 3 unit ids with the corresponding circuits broken out.  I tried creating my own custom prop and it had the same results.  Picture of my prop definition:

Screenshot 2022-09-11 185302.jpg

I believe in S5 as well as S6 the carry over circuits will default to the next Unit Ids at the Max circuit amount selected. I have never tried this to verify that is the case but in the example above, the prop you would have the carry over by default would be assigned like this. Unit 51 Circuit 1 - 300 100 pixels. Unit 52 the next 100 pixels and so on until all the carry overs are assigned a unit ID.  I have made the request for the software change that would allow the preview to show these carry over Units used in the prop definition. I created my own preview for the spooky tree that splits it into 3 sub props. 1 left tree string. Right tree string and the face string. then I group them together. It took some time to create but there was a 2 fold advantage to doing this. I now can address any unit ID to the prop and second and biggest advantage is that the GE Prop definition is very large and create a lot of lag when loading any sequence with that prop definition. It has a grid of 549x635. that means the SE has to calculate a total pixel data count of 348,615. I do believe that S6 is going have a feature that will allow us to reduce the grid size of custom props which would be a good thing. If you are interested in what I did PM me your email and I'll send you the the Spooky Tree prop definition I made.

Edited by Box on Rails
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, yffej151963 said:

Thanks! That is what I was trying to do, but the prop editor did not seem to allow me to a second string. Did you edit the exported prop file?

That was the same problem I had.  Although it showed a carryover count for unit id 50, it would not actually show the next 3 unit IDs.  Nothing I could do to get it to create/show them.

3 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

I believe in S5 as well as S6 the carry over circuits will default to the next Unit Ids at the Max circuit amount selected. I have never tried this to verify that is the case but in the example above, the prop you would have the carry over by default would be assigned like this. Unit 51 Circuit 1 - 300 100 pixels. Unit 52 the next 100 pixels and so on until all the carry overs are assigned a unit ID.  

...and second and biggest advantage is that the GE Prop definition is very large and create a lot of lag when loading any sequence with that prop definition. It has a grid of 549x635. that means the SE has to calculate a total pixel data count of 348,615. I do believe that S6 is going have a feature that will allow us to reduce the grid size of custom props which would be a good thing. If you are interested in what I did PM me your email and I'll send you the the Spooky Tree prop definition I made.

I was almost ready to try an actual experiment to verify that the prop definition shown above would actually work, assuming units 50 through 53 were actually being used.  But @Jimehc supplied a prop definition that broke out the units the way I expected them to be (so no longer had to assume; I could actually see them).

I also noticed that processing time went way up with this prop being added.  Even if I just set a 1/20th of a second cell, it takes minutes to process it.  My definition is only 350x350.  If S6 does fix this, that is reason enough for me to upgrade.  In the mean time, I will be sequencing this prop via another less-processing-intensive pixel prop, and when ready I will copy/paste it to take a hit only once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasslerk said:

That was the same problem I had.  Although it showed a carryover count for unit id 50, it would not actually show the next 3 unit IDs.  Nothing I could do to get it to create/show them.

The String Summary does show the carryover pixels.  I agree it would be nice if it was more explicit in the Channels section of the Prop Definition.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Kurt, I reduce to 175x175 - which should help rendering time - this forum does not like a lot of attachments

Yes, I was contemplating how best to go about shrinking it down.