Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cord covers?

Wonko

Hi all,

What do you guys use to cover all the extension cords? I use mostly green ones to hide in the grass, but they still look like a mess all over the yard. I found some cord cover things on Amazon, but they’re like $50 for 5’. Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Personally I don't bother with them. But having said that, you don't want them to be in a puddle either so keep them elevated with small plastic stakes. Do not use metal stakes. Now when it comes to heavy snow and buried within, other's up there might be able to suggest something better. I know that Lowes use to carry green plastic covers for cord connections, but frankly, they were worthless in my opinion. Just a fast thought too, I've used/use a special tape for sealing over a RJ45 connector adapter for out in the yard when I needed to extend one. That tape is a type that is for cables and only sticks to itself. Once its on, it doesn't come off without slicing through it. Its tight and waterproof.

I just keep them elevated, and be smart with a low spot with cord.  I water is going to run down the cord I make sure there is a spot lower than the plug so water will drop off before running to the plug.  Some will tell you to use dialectic grease, you either love it or hate it, I don't use it.  When it comes to taping, my opinion is don't, it also keeps the moisture in. 

A Zip tie where you want the water to (mostly) leave, but the ends still need to be kept clear of water.

IMHO save your money on the 2" plugged connection covers (found at HD) . they seem to hate any cords other than light duty, 18Ga. BTW These ARE GOOD for CAT5 couplers.

I have some 4" ones (green and black) I got at Amazon. They do fine with 14Ga, but water still manages to get in EVEN WHEN ABOVE GROUND. Drain multiple time during rainy season

Last year, I had some 'socket boxes'. the did stay dry  (the large will hold an outlet strip OR a Network switch (don't put both in the same box)

After a day or two, they get covered in snow. Then the snow melts and freezes and they slowly become ice-encrusted. Then, when you decide to remove the lights, at the end of January, you can either try and pull them out, ripping many in half, or after 35 years of doing that, leave them, ALL , until the snow and ice actually melt. Then they may be removed easily with no damage. But remember, right after it snows....no exposed wires! :-)

Edited by Paul McGuire

On 9/11/2022 at 10:00 AM, prevue12 said:

I just keep them elevated, and be smart with a low spot with cord.  I water is going to run down the cord I make sure there is a spot lower than the plug so water will drop off before running to the plug.  Some will tell you to use dialectic grease, you either love it or hate it, I don't use it.  When it comes to taping, my opinion is don't, it also keeps the moisture in. 

Actually, Flex Seal tape keeps the moisture out very well.  Has to be tightly wrapped, but the Flex Seal tape is waterproof, and I've used it on some of my extension cords with very good success in torrential rainy Florida.  Should hold up in snow areas as well.

A little expensive, but can be cut too size with a little overlap.  Stuff really does work great.  And I've yet to see any moisture inside anything I've taped up with the Flex Seal tape.  I know it comes in Clear and Black, but I think they have added some other colors.  I use the clear, can see at a glance if any moisture would get in.  Got a few cords I keep together to make a long cord without cutting, splicing and soldering.  Has worked very well.

I also use those cheap green plastic ground light stakes for holding the connections off the ground.  I use both short and long ones, depending on location.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, Jimehc said:

Just FYI, dielectric grease, most all flavors of it, works really nice. I use it mostly for LED strip connectors(JST) and similar. It causes no issues and if anything, prevents issues from happening during the season.

Thanks all for responding! 
I’m surprised though, that nobody covers their extension cords for cosmetic value. At last count, I’m using about 300 extension cords between 10 and 100’ in length. Some are green, but some are orange or black. They’re very visible during the day, as my show is setup in my side/back yard (I have a corner lot). 

Does anybody have a similar issue?

Thanks, again!

6 minutes ago, Wonko said:

Thanks all for responding! 
I’m surprised though, that nobody covers their extension cords for cosmetic value. At last count, I’m using about 300 extension cords between 10 and 100’ in length. Some are green, but some are orange or black. They’re very visible during the day, as my show is setup in my side/back yard (I have a corner lot). 

Does anybody have a similar issue?

Thanks, again!

I don't worry if they are out of traffic paths. I use a cord protector with yellow stripes when I crossed a sidewalk (no excuses for not seeing).  OTOH the lawn? is greenish and brown. The beds are grey gravel. I did use Ikea grey cord cover (indoor rated, so only good for a couple of seasons) for the rise from the controller to the roof where there was no down spout to follow. The house is Grey with white trim.

💡 I use 1/2 drip tube U stakes, 100pk from Amazon (way cheaper than small pks from the home store) to manage/guide cords on the dirt

51 minutes ago, Wonko said:

That's one advantage of an almost entirely pixel based show - far fewer cables laying around.  The only AC lights I have other than a few permanent light fixtures are two singing faces that hang from the eves of my house and the two AC controllers mount under the eves behind one of the faces.  The other advantage that I have is that when I completely rebuilt the front yard, I put in almost a quarter mile of conduit.  Almost everything in the yard has conduit to very close.  I do have a few cables running across the grass, but mostly green and held down with the crappy J shaped tent stakes - so you can hardly see them even if you know where to look.

• Like 1

Early on, I got tired of cables so I buried some 4" conduits under my lawn and sidewalks. At the ends of the conduits are sprinkler valve boxes that are covered with rocks (except in the middle of the lawn). Where the cables come out of the boxes, I bury them in the pea gravel so they are not visible.

Under the lawn, where the conduit is long, I pull the cables with a wire fish.