Jump to content

Need details on MC-P(D) for project


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest guest

I've got a project where I'll be using a PC hooked up to a LOR1602W.

But I've got a special 16 channel digital device that I need to control as well, and sync with the music and light show that I have going on with the LOR1602W. And I want to control the digital device through the LOR Showtime software.

I'd much rather have the electronics out there in the field (literally) rather than a card in my PC, so it looks like the MC-P and MC-PD will do the trick for me.

1] Since I'm going to, worst case, have the LOR1602W run the show, is there any conceivable reason why I'd need the MC-PD? Does it have some special upgradability or anything else that I'm going to want? It seems a no-brainer, but the differences and the price just have me confused. It seems like the MC-P will more than do the trick, but I'm afraid I'm overlooking the obvious. The MC-P would never run on its own, but with a PC or some other device as the master.

2] My existing digital devices expect a +5 signal (typical TTL voltages at IC-to-IC level mA) to perform an action. I don't know anything about DIO specifications (and I can't seem to find a good document on it at the LOR site -- maybe I'm missing it), but in general terms, would this be compatible?

Thanks.

PS: That MP3 LOR16xx looks hottt. Price and form makes it attractive vs having a striped down PC run the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

jmccorm wrote:

1] Since I'm going to, worst case, have the LOR1602W run the show, is there any conceivable reason why I'd need the MC-PD? Does it have some special upgradability or anything else that I'm going to want? It seems a no-brainer, but the differences and the price just have me confused. It seems like the MC-P will more than do the trick, but I'm afraid I'm overlooking the obvious. The MC-P would never run on its own, but with a PC or some other device as the master.

It is a moot point. Both the MC-P and the MC-PD are not available. When you click on them you will see that it says "sold out". I think they have been discontinued. In the future there is supposed to be a similar board that will control 32 channels.

TED
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Hmmmm. (The website didn't give an indiication that it was discontinued.) That still leaves me with the need to control 16 digital channels. :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Hold on there

LOR MC-P V2
A 32 channel replacement for the old 16 channels MC-P… This new Modular Processor is designed with the Hobbyist in mind. It will provide tremendous flexibility in the design and building of module based custom controllers. Included with this release will be a ser ies of new accessory cards: High and Low Power Triac Cards, Low voltage DC card, optically isolated input cards, servo driver, electromechanical relay card and more - (Available 3rd quarter)
also from D-Light Designs

16 Channel DC Controller - Gold Edition

Introducing the newest release in our ever expanding product line: the D-Light 16 Channel DC Controller - Gold Edition. This fully assembled controller (Gold Edition) accepts DC inputs ranging from 10V to 60V and can handle up to 60Amps! The 16 channel outputs can directly drive DC loads like servos, LEDs, low-voltage landscape lights, sprinkler valves, etc.

(This exciting new product will begin shipping in Q3 2006.)

Jerry Plak

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

jmccorm wrote:

Hmmmm. (The website didn't give an indiication that it was discontinued.) That still leaves me with the need to control 16 digital channels. :?
I use MC-P board in several application. If you wish to PM me we can discuss you control issues. While it is true the MC-Ps are discontinued the new 32 channel board will do everything the MC-P did and a lot more. I would need to know a little more about the type of control your specialty card requires-perhaps a dio card would be a better way to go.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

How hard would it be to modify something like the CTB-16D to still take 115vac for input to power its own electronics, but then to take an additional +5vdc input to be used to switch around to the various output devices?

Can I cut the 115vac as power from the unit away from the 115vac that is fed to the channels and replace that with my own +5vdc?

EDIT: Or on a CTB08?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

jmccorm wrote:

How hard would it be to modify something like the CTB-16D to still take 115vac for input to power its own electronics, but then to take an additional +5vdc input to be used to switch around to the various output devices?

Can I cut the 115vac as power from the unit away from the 115vac that is fed to the channels and replace that with my own +5vdc?

EDIT: Or on a CTB08?


The CTB-16D can be used with a different voltage on one side (8 channels). The power for the electronics on the card is taken from one side only, so you can feed something other than 120 or 240vac into the other side. This has been discussed for use with low voltage lighting.

However, there are still some issues as far as your needs go. For one thing, the CTB-16D won't work on DC. Depending on exactly what type of devices you are controlling, you may be able to make it work from a low voltrage AC supply, perhaps by adding some additional components on each output channel to get the signal in a form your device would tolerate; kind of a kludge though.

Actually, it should work from a pulsating DC supply (rectified AC but unfiltered).
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Wow. That'd be a pain to work around. Back to the MC-P and MC-PD, does anyone know what they output in order to generate a signal? Do they ground a line that you normally hold high? Do they put +5vdc on a pin? What is it that it does in order to signal that an channel has been triggered in the ON state?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...