Light-O-Rama Forums

"Gluing" RGB strips

k6ccc

I have a bunch of RGB strip (both dumb and smart) that is glued to brick in various placed in my yard.  Here is an example:

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

In the past I have used GE Silicone II as a "glue".  It sticks to the silicone tube of the RGB strips, and it also sticks to the porous surface of the brick. Hold or clamp in place for a few minutes and move on the next section.  The strip in that photo is still there and has been for something like 8 years.

This weekend, I have been replacing a few of these strips because the strips had various failures and attempted the same process.  I am using the same GE Silicone II, but finding that the sealer was not setting up.  In fact, over 30 hours after application, the silicon was still just as gooey as it was when it came out of the tube.  I am using a brand new tube except for the first couple feet that finished off an older tube.  The RGB strips that I did yesterday have almost all fallen off so I'm going to have to redo it.  Today, I was clamping the strips for an hour before moving on and some of it has fallen off.

I am assuming that the formula for GE Silicone II has changed sometime in the last few years.  So my question to you all is - any current product that works the way GE Silicone II used to that I can use going forward?

Greetings,

i have been using ASI #388 electronic silicone. It sticks to my Ray Wu RGB waterproof strips where nothing else will (including GE silicone II).Obviously I can’t guarantee it will work for you as all plastic’s are so different. The only way is to give it a try. The silicone is available from Amazon. 

Thanks for that suggestion.  How long does it take to set up?  I don't mean as fully solid as it will get, but enough that it should hold enough that I can move on to the next section?

Well, it is going to take a couple hours so you’ll need to weigh it or tape it in place (no worse then using GE silicone). This silicone also sticks tenaciously to regular plexiglass. I also use it when I need to make a custom AC LED string with a specific number of LED’s to fit a prop. I encapsulate the current limiting resistor with this silicone. But, again, it is tough to predict if it will work without actually trying it on your plastic.

Jim

In my experience you get a tube or two of a bad batch sometimes. I have had the same experience occasionally and if I remember correctly it was not so much the age of the tube but was the batch. If possible return it to the vendor and they will replace it, 3M and GE have always been pretty good about standing up for their product. In todays new product availability it may be a problem but I hope not.

When this used to happen to me I would always make sure I replaced it with the same manufacturer but a different batch number.

Good Luck, Keith

• Like 1

I agree. Bad Batch  (probably the bottom of the mixing barrel :p ) If your tube has a code, make sure you don't get MOS (batch).

I've used Auto Weatherstrip sealant, but color choices are  baby can't wait and black

That does not speak well for quality control.  I have a tube of the ASI 388 on order, and I will try another tube of Silicon II, but will do a test with both before next weekend when I will have the fun of redoing most of my work from this past weekend....  And it's supposed to be HOT next weekend...

OK, the good part of last weekend is that although the strips are largely not attached as they should be, at least they look right.  The two that I replaced were a 5 meter and a about 6 meter segment of RGB dumb strips that had LOTS of missing colors on segments.  You can see one in this photo where a 3 LED segment on the tree ring behind the left column is showing teal (no red) when the rest of the strip is white.  It was FAR worse than that one segment...

Columns_lit.jpg

http://newburghlights.org/photos/Columns_lit.jpg

Thanks for all the replies...

I've not personally tried this product for this use but I can assure you that it sticks to everything and sets up fast. Lexel Clear Sealant. The only problem with it is that you cannot leave any air, inside the tube otherwise it'll quickly cure the entire tube. Totally waterproof and fast. Truly, you never open it up till you're ready to use the whole tube. Even though I've not tried it on silicone strips, I have no doubt it'll stick easily.

Followup.  Yesterday I received a tube of the ASI #388 that SeeFromSpace recommended, and I bought a new tube of GE Silicone II from my local Home Depot.  Then I did a test. 

For the test, I laid a 4 inch strip of the each silicone "glue" onto a brick and then laid a 4 inch RGB strip segment onto the silicone such that one inch of the silicone was left exposed, and the far one inch of the RGB strip was not glued, but the three inches in between of the RGB strip was glued to the brick.  Just looking at it, I could tell it was different.  The texture was very different and the new stuff came out smoothly - where the previous tube did not.  Just before I went to bed about an hour later, I tested each silicone by gently touching the exposed silicone with my finger, and very gently lifting the unglued end of the RGB strip.  Both the ASI #388 and the new tube of silicone II were fairly solid and did not leave any silicone stuck to my fingertip.  Although I have no doubt that I could have pulled all three RGB strips off, with a gentle pull, both the ASI #388 and the new tube tests did not easily lift off.  The test with the not new silicone was a different story.  When I touched the exposed silicone, it easily transferred to my fingertip and when I lifted the unglued end of the RGB strip, it easily came off.

This morning before leaving for work (eight hours later), both the new silicone and the ASI #388 were completely solid (as solid as silicone gets), and the RGB strips were well attached to the brick.  The not new silicone would still easily transfer to my fingertip, and the RGB strip was easily moved.  That tube is now in my trash can...

BTW, with the old silicone that was put in place last weekend, it took between 50 & 60 hours before the silicone would not transfer to my fingertip when touched.  And we've been having very hot weather.

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Jim, I vaguely remember once frozen RTV failing to harden.  Is it possible that your tube was mistreated?

This is southern California, so hot could be an issue, cold is not.

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

This is southern California, so hot could be an issue, cold is not.

I was thinking more in transit (or stored in a trunk that went to the Ski Ara).

FWIW I went to HS in Reseda, so I am familiar with the normal weather.

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

(or stored in a trunk that went to the Ski Area)

I only ski on liquid water behind a boat...

I'll leave out the part about pretty girls wearing.....

Hey Jim, so you tried three different types with one going to the trash. What was the type that ended up in the bin? It wasn't the ASI or the Silicone II, but wish to make sure I or we, never waste money on the product that did not work at all?

7 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Hey Jim, so you tried three different types with one going to the trash. What was the type that ended up in the bin? It wasn't the ASI or the Silicone II, but wish to make sure I or we, never waste money on the product that did not work at all?

The one that went into the trash was my older tube of GE Silicone II - the same stuff as the new tube I bought Wednesday.  The only difference was the older tube was a couple years old, but was still sealed with with the foil cover that you have to puncture in order to use it - which was opened last Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Followup - success!

After one weekend of 110 degree weather and the next with a rare for here hurricane off shore resulting in 90+ with humidity just about as high, this past weekend was very nice weather to work outside.  I used the newly bought tube of GE Silicone 2 and successfully replaced the dumb RGB strip on all three tree rings and one of the three porch steps.  The new silicone worked as it was expected and the process went pretty quickly.

So nice having all three tree rings light properly.  Before replacement, all three tree rings had at least 50% of the segments with at least one missing color.

I'm taking advantage of the work on the steps and am moving the 16 channel DC controller to a different location that will better utilize my DC controllers.