Light-O-Rama Forums

Increase the audio level on a sequence that is low

DLH lites

I sequenced Meeting Santa  from Polar Express, my very first sequence.  This music was a promo and has never been released, I got it on line as a mp3 download. The level is very low  all my other sequences are much louder.  Is there a way to increase the level of a finished sequence.  This is the music track .  It is beautiful but long.    

You can use a free program like MP3Gain to increase the gain level of the file. It can also be used to level out the gain amongst all your music files so they are all at the same volume. Just don't overdo it or it will distort the music.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Edited by Mr. P

I just now copied your audio and increased it by 10dB which is right about its limit without hearing distortion. You are correct that it was way too low.

Edit: Yes, I've deleted it since it is yours

Edited by dgrant

Yes, Audacity is also a great program if you want to do one file at a time. However, if you need to do 50 or 100 at the same time and level them all out together at the same time then try MP3Gain.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Yes, Audacity is also a great program if you want to do one file at a time. However, if you need to do 50 or 100 at the same time and level them all out together at the same time then try MP3Gain.

I second the MP3Gain program.  Been using it for years now.

Although I have a commercial audio editor that will do multiple audio files at one time, as well as allow me to convert them to WAV, MP3, OGG and a few other formats, it takes much longer to do 100 audio files to just change the volume, unlike MP3Gain which takes almost 50-70% faster in updating them to a louder volume setting.

If I make custom edits to a song/audio file, I do use the commercial audio software for that.   Audacity will do the same thing, and it's free, but I've had my audio editor for years before I knew about audacity, plus it was bundled with my commercial video editor/creation software.  And I'm so accustomed to using the commercial audio editor, I can edit a song fairly quickly and easily with it.

Edited by Orville

Thanks Yall , wow 10 db thats a lot, I wondered how much I would need to bring it up.  The track I used  was taken from a display I found on line, The you tube video I posted  which I just found, has a little more level ,not much. Can I make the adjustment in the existing sequence. 

David

Nice thing about Audacity - is you can select entire song - select "Effect" - then "Amplify" - and the song is automatically amplified to max level without clipping... Problem is you cant do more than one song at a time... But there is no guesswork as to the Level to be applied across all your media files.. And over Amplified (clipping) media files are reduced to proper level..

Edited by Jimehc

10 hours ago, DLH lites said:

Thanks Yall , wow 10 db thats a lot, I wondered how much I would need to bring it up.  The track I used  was taken from a display I found on line, The you tube video I posted  which I just found, has a little more level ,not much. Can I make the adjustment in the existing sequence. 

David

I have no idea what software you use to download your MP3 files, but I have found that saving them from the software I use that will download the video or just strip out the MP3 from it, if I use 320K 48,000Hz, enhance{raise volume} the audio, save in same format, then use the audio editor to change the settings to 320K, 44,100hz works very well.  It's what I use on my computer and in my Director currently.  Never any issues.   Plus, even that video/audio downloader I use allows me to convert the video or audio into many other formats.

Software I use for this is called "aTube Catcher", it's free, and it has no limitations either, everything is useable/accessible in it, has a ton of options for Audio and video..  And I only use it mostly for those MP3 files that have been discontinued and can no longer be purchased anywhere, any longer.  I also use it to get a song and sequence it if I'm low on funds to buy it, then as soon as I have the funds, I *do* buy the MP3, if available.    At least this way, I can start sequencing it before I officially purchase it.

I've also used "aTube Catcher" to create ringtones for cell phones!    Best and most versatile audio/video downloader I've ever seen.  Been using it for quite a few years now.

You can download it here:  aTube Official Website {aTube Catcher}    It says video downloader, but it does a whole lot more than just video!