Light-O-Rama Forums

Roof outlines

XmasGal

My home has a 24ft long ranch style porch. This year i'm adding RGB lights on the porche eaves because I can access it using a step ladder. 

Roof outlines are beautiful but I'm terrified of going on the roof.

Anyone else not doing rooflines? 

13 minutes ago, XmasGal said:

My home has a 24ft long ranch style porch. This year i'm adding RGB lights on the porche eaves because I can access it using a step ladder. 

There are many reasons to stay OFF of the roof.

1) Health related (balance, Vision...)  <me>

2) Steepness and type of roofing (Slate/tile can be very slippery. Older shake can be fragile and leak.

3) lack of proper safety tools that might overcome #2. (Tall Ladders, line + harness, footwear that grips)

4) Rental property. Ask your landlord about hanging lights.

Your profile says S4 Basic. the is not good if Pixles  You might add 8Ports of Dumb RGB strings  (assumes you have just 1 AC controller)

FWIW 100 bullets on 3" centers works out to just over 24'

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

There are many reasons to stay OFF of the roof.

1) Health related (balance, Vision...)  <me>

2) Steepness and type of roofing (Slate/tile can be very slippery. Older shake can be fragile and leak.

3) lack of proper safety tools that might overcome #2. (Tall Ladders, line + harness, footwear that grips)

4) Rental property. Ask your landlord about hanging lights.

Your profile says S4 Basic. the is not good if Pixles  You might add 8Ports of Dumb RGB strings  (assumes you have just 1 AC controller)

FWIW 100 bullets on 3" centers works out to just over 24'

I currently have 2 AC controllers. I've just purchased the Pixie4 controller as a starter with 4 -50ct strings. I'll have to upgrade the LOR software?

1 hour ago, XmasGal said:

I currently have 2 AC controllers. I've just purchased the Pixie4 controller as a starter with 4 -50ct strings. I'll have to upgrade the LOR software?

Dumb (like AC or a CMB24) are 1 ID per box.

OTOH Smart like a Pixie# is 1 ID per PORT (pixie 4 = 4 ports) and you can't use ELOR mode until you got Pro level.

ELOR is needed for LOTS of light changes in a short time. IMHO you would have to get pretty insane to need that with 1 Pixie 4

BUT you should also get a High Speed adapter (formerly  known as Red)  unless your AC controllers are Gen 3 (you want 500K speed for the Pixie)

I would get it anyway and run a second Network (AuxA) for the Pixie

6 hours ago, XmasGal said:

I no longer do rooflines, either.  Too many impairments/disabilities that my Doctor says I need to stay off all ladders and even avoid stairs now.  I am not even supposed to use a step stool!

So everything I do is now all ground level only.  Sure miss having lights around the top of the house, but better safe than sorry.

Basic License only covers 2 ID units as far as I recall, so yes, an upgrade is definitely needed.  To use a lot of the pixie features and the Enhanced option, your best bet is to really upgrade to the PRO license, then as your display grows, you don't need to worry about will my software cover what I have and want to do.  As a Pro license your ID count is basically unlimited, and it opens up a lot of features that are used with pixel controllers, especially smart pixel controllers and smart pixels.  And for the higher speeds you do need a high speed adapter or several HS adapters, depending on how many pixels and type controllers you have, or you could also invest in an N4-G4 MP3 Director that has 4 ports that would take the place of the computer, HS adapter{s} and give you 4 network ports, Regular, Net1{Aux A}, Net2{Aux B}, and Net3{Aux C}.  But still a good idea to have at least 1 or 2 HS adapters {or more} around just in case you may need to use the computer to run your show or for testing/setting up controllers before putting them into service in your display.

And have a Spare Adapter, especially if you live where ESD's are common (Lightning). I use my spare (Red) AuxC for testing . Both for setting up new HW and to see what a new prop looks like before it leaves the shop.

BTW there is no LOR ID 01 in my system. I can simply grab a new (spare) board and field mount it on an existing network, then use HU to change the ID to fit its new home. Another reason to not use up all your (license) ID counts. I also leave ID gaps when assigning Pixie4's (I have no 2's). I moved a couple of years ago and a controller box (location) ran out of ports. I simply replaced the Pixie4 with a Pixie 8 (used same ID setting), added a few more dangles...  Good to go, no pain

6 P's 😛

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

BTW there is no LOR ID 01 in my system. I can simply grab a new (spare) board and field mount it on an existing network, then use HU to change the ID to fit its new home.

Same thing here - for the same reason.

Been in this house for 19 years and NEVER  been on the roof; too high and too steep. The closest I've come is 10 years ago I painted the second floor shutters. My ladder wouldn't reach the gutters and barely reached the shutters. So, yeah, NO house outline for me.

My house is single floor and since we don't get snow here, there is little need for a steep roof pitch.  This is a really old photo, but you can see that the roof is not steep.  Although not in this old photo, there are lights on both the lower and upper eves, and for several years along the peak of the roof, and both edges.  I did not put them up last year because they were in such bad shape it was not worth having them.  We'll see if I have time to do the rebuild this year.  There are also some ham radio antennas up there too.

Front_yard.sm.jpg

http://newburghlights.org/photos/Front_yard.sm.jpg

I like the look of the spaced double row on the roof light segments from the peak to the eves.  Some interesting possibilities with that...

My roof is three stories up and I decorate it every year. Mt wife bought me these roofing boots called Cougar Paws and you literally stick to the roof. I can walk around up there as easily as walking around on the ground with no slipping and no worries.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cougar-Paws-Peak-Performer-Roofing/dp/B00YYQJW78/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2JBR6MPOLPTFR&keywords=cougar%2Bpaws%2Broofing%2Bboots&qid=1660839898&sprefix=cougar%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2&th=1

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You need a bucket truck...

I actually thought of that but my driveway is pretty steep too so I'm not sure where I could even maneuver it to be able to get up there. The garden is pretty far out from the house and that big tree is in the way.

I've learned to accept it. 

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Our roof is steel tile. It's thin and will bend if you step in the wrong place.

Yes - 2" spacing around windows -- 3" spacing around Garage door - 8" spacing on Gutter Line - 5" spacing under soffit - 12" spacing on Roof