Light-O-Rama Forums

Long Compression Time

downing360

I have been using my Light-O-Rama software to run my Christmas lights for 5 years, and have finally reached beyond my desktop computers ability to function reasonably.

I have around 30 minutes of sequences, controlling over 60 props, with close to 20k RGB lights. Last year I built a computer with Intel I7-9700K processor, 64GB Ram and Intel RTX 3060 TI GPU, and while I was able to edit the sequences rapidly, which was an improvement from the previous computer, the compression time prior to running the show was still in the 3 to 4 hours time frame.

Can anyone let me know where the delay is rooted? I did use some prop templates from Boscoyo which added to the issue, they were built on 1000 x 1000 matrix, and when that was fixed, the editing time drastically improved.

Im thinking I need a more powerful processor, however my computer knowledge is only deep enough to get me in trouble. I want to build a computer for LOR lights only, with a show growing around 2K RGB lights annually. 

What computer specifications do other LOR users have with similar systems, and what is the compression time?

Thanks

Wow, that would be nice! I find that when I add a prop, I end up tweaking it several times. I also end up adding a new sequence, which also requires several edits and tweaking. Hopefully I can find a better computer solution, if not, I will need to get better at implementing a finished product.

Thanks for your reply.

David

You might want to take a look at S6. The playback file format has been simplified and I think it may be a little quicker. You do have to run a show to create the files, but a show on demand will do it. Set it and go to bed.

• Thanks 1

During the off season you don't normally need to "play" a show since at least for most of us, the props are not set up.  However I like you, once the show is set up, I make minor tweeks the entire time that the show is set up.  Since you are on S4, after tweeking, fire up the sequence compressor and let it do it's thing.  Or as Phil said, start a show on demand during the daytime and see if anyone notices that the lights are flashing (turn off the amps if you have yard speakers or else people will know you're nuts).

• Haha 1

Awesome suggestions, for the record I am running S5, my profile was done back when I was using S4. I will try S6 to see if it improves any, also I may go with the newest I9 processor.

Thanks again for the input

David

just my opinion, 3-4 hrs for 30 minutes of sequences sounds very long.   I run my shows with S5 on an old Windows PC.   I have about 60 sequences of varying length (a bit over 2 hours worth) with 80 AC and 4K pixels and if I make a preview that requires compressing the whole show it goes faster that.  But I don't know what the variables are that would affect it.     I do have a show setup that uses all of my songs, and when I have to compress everything I use that so I make sure to run the compression utility after any changes so that by the time the show time rolls around, everything is ready to go.  

• Thanks 1

Hmm, interesting. I do play GIF and MOV files on a 2400 pixel board, along with the same GIFs on my 1600 pixel tree, 800 pixel tree and 4800 pixel arch's. I did a lot of copy paste. Im thinking this may be adding to the compression time. For you to compress 2 hours in less time than I compress 30 min. makes me think its something in the way I programmed the sequences. the only other thing I can think of is the downloaded props that had 1000 x 1000 points, when it was only using maybe 200 x 200.

Thanks for your input,

David

I had downloaded a prop that was designed much larger than I needed and it slowed down changes in the sequencer.  Never got as far as trying it to compress it.   If you can isolate one sequence that takes time, maybe open a ticket with LOR.   They are reasonably good at finding things like that or least be able to tell you if it is normal for your sequences. 

• Like 1

In S6 you can open the "Custom Light Placement" then - select all - then right click "Grid Icon" > Shrink 50%

Will shrink a 1000x1000 grid to 500x500 (so maybe shrink Twice)

LOR makes calculations even for empty pixel grid boxes (and slows the process down)

Edited by Jimehc
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked