Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request - Lock for the Preview

wicket82

I always seem to have issues with "accidently" changing or moving props in my preview. It would be nice to have some sort of "lock" option on the preview. A way to lock the props to keep from moving them around. It could also make it to where you couldn't add or delete props unless you hit an unlock button. I am asking or requesting this because I tend to open a song up to try new props or something and forget to change the preview. Next thing I know, every song that uses that preview has been changed. I loved the visualizer in S4 and how it wouldn't affect every song when you changed something. I have been using S5 since it came out and still can't get used to the preview changing every song when one is changed.

I really like the feature of changing a prop in one place and not having to open every sequence and import the new channel config.

However, I like your suggestion, because it would require me to acknowledge that I'm about to change the preview before I do.

How are you accidentally changing a preview?  You have to open a preview, then modify a prop and explicitly save that change, then explicitly save the change to the preview.  In other words, you have several levels of having to save the changes you made.  Cancel at any point and no save.  What am I missing here?

Yes, there are reasons to open a preview without any intent to make changes - for example, what channels did I put some prop on?

Easy to do K6, open any prop definition from with Sequencer, make a change or just hit save, Preview changed....

The only thing that does not change the Preview is adding Motion Effect Rows... It only effects that sequence...

31 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How are you accidentally changing a preview?  You have to open a preview, then modify a prop and explicitly save that change, then explicitly save the change to the preview.  In other words, you have several levels of having to save the changes you made.  Cancel at any point and no save.  What am I missing here?

Yes, there are reasons to open a preview without any intent to make changes - for example, what channels did I put some prop on?

I have added props to see what they would look like. Or change the location of them to see what they would look like. I have also deleted a prop from one song I might add to the show and when I do, it deletes it from every song using that preview. And I accidently save it. I spend more time messing around with the preview than anything. It has been a pain to me ever since S5 came out. It would be nice to have a lock feature to lock it and it give a warning before anything is changed. I would love for it to be like S4 but that won't happen. haha

Edited by wicket82

I had to open up Sequencer to see what you meant.  Keep in mind that I sequence essentially everything in SuperStar (as one "Insert SuperStar Effects), so my normal View in Sequencer has exactly one line - a group with everything in the show.  I did not even know that you could modify anything in the Preview from anything except the Preview Editor.  With that said, if I am going to try something to see what it looks like, it will always be in a copy of the preview.  So for example for my Christmas 2021 Preview, there were 4 versions as various changes got made throughout the year.  Two of those were test versions, but the result is that unless I assign the modified preview to a sequence, it does not change.

However, I can see the validity of the request..

Same concept BTW that any time ANY change is made to a sequence, the next save will be to a new filename.  Filenames are the name of the song followed by the date and revision letter.  For example:  Hark 2022-07-05b.loredit  That would be the second revision made of the day to Hark! The Herald Angels Sing on July 5th of 2022.  I have in the past used the time of the revision rather than a revision letter.

It would be nice to have a pop up saying “This preview is locked. Unlock it to make changes” so you can’t accidentally (or forget it changes every song with that preview) delete or change something.