Light-O-Rama Forums

Question: If you sequence with S6, can you go back to S5?

k6ccc

Similar to S4 to S5, are sequence files created or edited in S6 able to later be edited in S5?  In other words, can someone edit one or more sequences in S6, and then return to S5 and be able to make use of that S6 sequencing in S5, or are you committed to S6 once you start sequencing in S6 (or throw away your efforts)?  Pretty sure I know the answer, but I would like to get an official answer - and I'm sure others would like to know as well.

I am curious about this one as well. In case I use S6 now to test but end up going back to S5 for the show. Not sure yet it's worth me going to S6 yet.

As I understand it, there is no change to the Sequence files. The playback files are in a different format, but they are easily recreated in either direction. I don't have any data to support this but it feels like they create and load a little faster.

The only reason i might have to revert is if Bob can't adapt Miip to the changes in the show player.

Not the correct answer to your question but just now tried going back to 5.6.8 and everything works. I did NOT write over any sequences with 6.0.0

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

The only reason i might have to revert is if Bob can't adapt Miip to the changes in the show player.

Im going to DL and look at it now.  Json is easy.  My job as a data architect is loading Json documents into mongo.   I just deployed two more collections today. 

I tried to run a miip show today but the show player kept finding the empty miipshow file. I sort of got it going but the audio kept dropping out, I think when it polled or rewrote.

I have my system running if you need any testing done.

Likewise.  I don't normally run miio for the landscape show, but certainly can for testing.

And doing it on my phone without my reading glasses so I could not see all that well...

If you use the new Snowflake prop in S6, the sequence/preview will not load on S5. (I just tried it.)

It worked.

FYI, I took one of my S5 sequences, and spent an hour editing it in 6.0.2 and saved with a new name.  Then opened the resulting S6 .loredit file in 5.6.8 and it worked fine and the changes I had made in 6.0.2 showed correctly.  All of my changes were made in SuperStar.

Different computer, in case anyone is wondering if I had both S5 and S6 on the same computer - I did not.

Yes, sequence files edited in S6 can be opened in S5. The only caveats are features that are new to S6 -- like the Snowflake shape or the new Dumb RGBW string type. The "Master Dimming Applies" field in Prop Definition is new in S6 too - so if you had some DMX fixtures where you turned that off, then rolled back to S5, then the edits to that field could be lost.

Matt

• 1 month later...

A bit off the main topic, but wondered how the miip testing had gone.   Planning out my plans for this year.  

Have not heard anything from BobO in that yet.  I sure hope so as I really like having MIIP - and I would have changing a bunch of matrix messages if it won't be available.

Ive have not checked in for a while.   I am WAY behind on what is going on around here.   Maybe someone can recap the impactful S6 changes for me.  I did DL it a month ago thinking the csv schedule/show file .lss was changing to json.   But my one minute test seemed to create the same format.   That is good for miip!   

My guess is other files are now json.   MIIP currently opens the XML of every S4/S5 sequence to pic it apart and detect the many setup issues.  Mainly gets the exact length and confirm/set the windows command.  Its not an absolute requirement for miip to do this.  However, from a support standpoint,  It was so much better for me to notify the miip user of problems allowing self service problem resolution.    If the sequences are now json,  that would require miip to open with a different reader to find the needed elements. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Ive have not checked in for a while.   I am WAY behind on what is going on around here.   Maybe someone can recap the impactful S6 changes for me.  I did DL it a month ago thinking the csv schedule/show file .lss was changing to json.   But my one minute test seemed to create the same format.   That is good for miip!   

My guess is other files are now json.   MIIP currently opens the XML of every S4/S5 sequence to pic it apart and detect the many setup issues.  Mainly gets the exact length and confirm/set the windows command.  Its not an absolute requirement for miip to do this.  However, from a support standpoint,  It was so much better for me to notify the miip user of problems allowing self service problem resolution.    If the sequences are now json,  that would require miip to open with a different reader to find the needed elements. 

LOREDIT files are the same.

LSS files are the same, though the paths are now allowed to be relative to the sequence folder. Absolute paths are still fine.

Old schedule files have been replaced with: "\Light-O-Rama\CommonData\ShowScheduleSettings.json"

My only concern about MIIP would be whether changes to the LSS file currently being played would be picked up immediately, like they were in S4 and S5. Testing needed. If it's not working, we would be open to adding an API to modify show order rather than MIIP rewriting and the Show Player having to reread the LSS file.