Light-O-Rama Forums

Laptop recommendation?

gwoodams

I am looking to invest in a laptop to be able to program while traveling over the summer.  Just needs to be able to visualize the show.  I have highest license of software and am using 13 commercial 16 channel controllers, plus a 16 pixel tree and a 12 CCR ribbon tree.  Also adding DMX pixels.  So, LOTS of data.  Recommendations?  May use as a backup to run the show if something happened to my dedicated desktop.  I know the min specs, but any experience (good and bad) would be appreciated.

My opinion - sequencing on a laptop sucks!  The lack of desktop real estate is horribly limiting.  OK, I'm spoiled in that my normal sequencing computer has four 24 inch monitors and I am routinely using three of them when I am sequencing (sometimes all four).

Get the best video capability you can get.  A good pair of WIRED headphones (not Bluetooth), and a external mouse or trackball (your choice)..

I have to agree that using a laptop to sequence is a "test of patience" IMO!  I bought one years ago when I was doing a display and it quickly turned into almost a reason to quit.

Using a desktop machine with a couple (or more) quality monitors will make life much easier on you in the long run.  Now saying that, a good laptop with a 17" monitor would work for doing "basic" sequencing work although you will find that it gets tedious and tiring to do sequencing on one.  But you could do the basic layout and display setup and then fine tune things on a desktop later if that will work.  Don't be surprised that your eyes get tired and sore quickly using a laptop though as it is tough to do fine tuning with one.

Same for using good headphones, mouse, and the best video capability for doing the final settings.  I have not been in the market with laptops for a few years now so no recommendations, I'm afraid.

Good luck.

I love my gaming laptops for sequencing.

Since I have back problems there is no way I can sit in a desk chair for the amount of time I sequence.

I lay in my recliner with my laptop, mouse and headset.

I have never used a desktop to sequence my stuff.

The laptop also allows me to sequence on the go, in my truck while awaiting my boys at school. They also run my show.

JR

I too use a laptop to sequence. Just need to open and close the visualizer to see how things look as I work. My suggestion would be to definitely get one with a SSD hard drive and as good of a graphics card as you can afford. I would second the gaming laptops JR suggested above. I bought a really nice new laptop with SSD drive, Core i7 and a good graphics card. The one thing I didn't get and kick myself for not getting ALL OF THE TIME is either a backlit keyboard or a black key pad with white letters/numbers. I have a blue(ish) laptop and light gray/white keys and they are very hard to see. A gaming laptop usually has backlit keyboards. 

I'm with Jim on this. I use two 43 inch 4K televisions as monitors, plus two 24 inch normal monitors. So having the extra working space, certainly comes in handy. The laptop I'm typing this on this moment, is certainly capable of sequencing and run the show, 15 inch display just doesn't cut it.

If you must  go Laptop, be sure it has a HDMI  port. I used my 50" Living room TV as the main seq surface. The Laptop screen is for Users Manual (I remember when these were paper, spread all around me) and other Windows use.

If you go Desktop: be sure you have at least 2 HiRes ports or the PSU will support an extra Video card).  USB Video cards work well for utility displays (manuals, toolbars... not everything need HiDef)

• The topic was locked