Light-O-Rama Forums

power difference in pixels

James Hill

Hello everyone,

Looking in Ray Wu's store and realized there are differences in pixel power. My first purchase of pixels are...

Color : full rgb color, 24bit, 256 gray scale

LED Qty : 1pcs 8mm round hat 0.24w rgb led with 4pin common anode

Input Volt : DC12V

Max current : 66MA

Max Power : 0.8W

Protection Level : IP68

I found others that are exactly the same except......Current is only 20MA and the Max Power is only 0.24W

I have set all my lights to 30% dim curve. Curious would you mix your display with different pixels? What is the lighting difference? Much dimmer? What are the drawbacks of these compared to my originals? With the lower power do I still get similar distance runs or is it much shorter. Not sure if I should just stick with what I have since 1000 pixels there is only about $100 savings.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would not mix on the same prop. and would use care with nearby. They will be noticably different

I have 28watt, 15 watt, 18.9 watt and 17.9 watt (50 Pixel Strings) through out my display - and although I seem to have mixed the Wattage's on 4 Mini Trees (I did not test New Lot from Vendor) and I did not even notice a difference..

Only after testing a string later did I realize that different wattage's were used... BUT, I did try to keep matching strings on a single prop...

My newest purchase of Ray Wu 50 pixel strings - results in - 17.3 watt for 50 - 28.9 watts for 100 - 35.1 watts for 150

I'll also note: that every string of 50 pixels > that I have ever tested has a 1.2 / 1.3 watt draw with all pixels off

Edited by Jimehc

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

I have 28watt, 15 watt, 18.9 watt and 17.9 watt (50 Pixel Strings) through out my display - and although I seem to have mixed the Wattage's on 4 Mini Trees (I did not test New Lot from Vendor) and I did not even notice a difference..

Only after testing a string later did I realize that different wattage's were used... BUT, I did try to keep matching strings on a single prop...

My newest purchase of Ray Wu 50 pixel strings - results in - 17.3 watt for 50 - 28.9 watts for 100 - 35.1 watts for 150

I'll also note: that every string of 50 pixels > that I have ever tested has a 1.2 / 1.3 watt draw with all pixels off

The 'idle power' is because you are powering the (smart) chip and voltage regulator. That should stay pretty much the same whatever the LEDs used (when all OFF).

5V strings will not have regulator  consumption, but that is not much

So is there a difference in the length of run? I would not mix in a single prop....but wondering about noticeable brightness from one string to another? Any drawbacks I should be aware of?

31 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

When comparing wattage's then one should assume a different level

From 0.8W to 0.24W is almost 1/4....if all my lights are 30% dim curve....could I not increase the dim curve in prob def when building the prop to make similar the brightness? Or am I fooling myself for the cost savings....just spend the extra $100 and be done with it? Also the amps are different....how will that effect my thought process?

Edited by James Hill

9 minutes ago, James Hill said:

From 0.8W to 0.24W is almost 1/4....if all my lights are 30% dim curve....could I not increase the dim curve in prob def when building the prop to make similar the brightness? Or am I fooling myself for the cost savings....just spend the extra $100 and be done with it? Also the amps are different....how will that effect my thought process?

P=I*E

P is power in watts

E is 12V

I is Amps

Chang one, and the others need to balance. Algebra. What 30% does is pulse the Voltage. It still draws the full amount, but the pulse make P an Average I over time

I really do not rely on vendor stated specs in any ad - you really have to test... (Most are not accurate)

I test string Wattage at 100% Full White...

Edited by Jimehc

Standard advise.  For any given prop (or props in close proximity) use pixels from the same batch if at all possible.