Light-O-Rama Forums

Sources of dumb RGB ribbons

k6ccc

Does anyone know of a vendor that still sells dumb RGB ribbons?  I have a bunch of dumb ribbons in my year round landscape lighting that have been in service for most of a decade.  A bunch of them really need to be replaced, and I am finding a great lack of places that sell dumb ribbons.  The only place I have found out of my list of almost 20 lighting vendors that has dumb ribbons is Holiday Coro (and I normally only buy plastic from them).  Even the LOR store apparently does not have any.

And no, there is no practical way to replace then with smart ribbons - and absolutely zero utility in doing so.

I have only ever used the HolidayCoro dumb RGB ribbons.  I use them along the top of the basement stone facade as uplighting of our white siding.  I have two connected together on either side of our porch (so 4 total) heading out to either end of the house.  I replaced them this year after 7 years of use.  I had a couple LEDs that had partially (affecting color mixing) or completely burned out which bothered me.   They are connected to outputs 1 and 2 on a CMB24D, and the other 6 outputs are connected to the 10W floods.  I personally recommend them.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Does anyone know of a vendor that still sells dumb RGB ribbons?  I have a bunch of dumb ribbons in my year round landscape lighting that have been in service for most of a decade.  A bunch of them really need to be replaced, and I am finding a great lack of places that sell dumb ribbons.  The only place I have found out of my list of almost 20 lighting vendors that has dumb ribbons is Holiday Coro (and I normally only buy plastic from them).  Even the LOR store apparently does not have any.

And no, there is no practical way to replace then with smart ribbons - and absolutely zero utility in doing so.

12V or 5V?  (I found some 24V on Amazon). Most of what I found there were INDOOR

Pickin's are thin. Could you use RGB Rope?

Jameco  (San Carlos) 5V  https://www.jameco.com/z/1138-Adafruit-Industries-Adafruit-NeoPixel-Digital-RGB-LED-Weatherproof-White-Strip-60-LED-1m_2212015.html

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

12V or 5V? 

12 volts preferred, although I could do 24 without too much trouble - CMB16D controllers are rated to 60V and CMB24D are rated to 30V.

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Most of what I found there were INDOOR

Indoor would not work.  These will mostly be glued to brick that is totally exposed to weather and some of them to sprinklers.

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Could you use RGB Rope?

Not very well.  A couple of photos of the two mountings.

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Steps_closeup-2.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Tree_ring_strip.jpg

Dumb RGB strip can still be found around Aliexpress in a variety of IP ratings. Like these or these. If you want the silicone "boot" around the strip those are IP67 or if you just want the silicone over the top those are IP65.

To find the 2 listings I mentioned these were my search terms "5050 rgb led strip 12v ip67".

You could also send an email to Paul or Ray, as they could likely get whatever you want if it isn't on their store pages. I have had them get / do custom things for me before.

If you don't want to order directly from China there is also Wow lights, they still have dumb strips.

And as @hasslerk there is always holiday coro.

Hope this helps.

Edited by canadianchristmas
fixed link

You did better than I did on searches than I did.  Everything I searched for came up with smart pixels...

• 3 weeks later...

I just received six of those.  I will be cutting off their connectors as they will all be permanently hard wired.

• Like 1