Light-O-Rama Forums

animation playback?

James Hill

Not sure if here is where I should put this.

I have a 16' snowflake I built for my roof. I am converting it from dumb RGBs to smart RGBs. In a new preview I created the snowflake and ran a test sequence - all is good. I exported this to import into my Whole House preview. Playing with the low/high res. in preview design. Question - The resolution is only for the animation correct? The actual output to the lights would be similar to high res.? So when designing I don't need to worry about the blocky animation of the snowflake with meteor motion effect if I leave resolution to low (to speed up playback)?

Thanks in advance. Love the experience and expertise you all offer.

whole house.gif

Off hand, I think your assumption is incorrect.  However, I don't ever use the "Use Preview" mode for the arrangement, so mine is only a guess....

The resolution will effect all Motion effects used on a group. The higher the res the better the effect looks. For example I use the fireworks effect on my entire display using a group of all props to create a dissolving explosion effect. It starts out with the entire display lit and then explodes to all off. At lower resolutions the effect just didn't look good to me. When I set the resolution higher it smooth's out a lot. I had no Idea this was an issue until I actually started running the show and something didn't look right to me with those groups. I started out using low resolution on every group when I was sequencing. Of course I was using the preview widow to test how these effects looked. At low resolution the ME looked good in the preview. Once I started running the show the effects didn't look as clear and smooth as the preview did. I thought maybe adjusting the dimming curve would make things work as I intended but it did not change anything. So I adjusted all group resolution to the highest and I got things to look a lot better. Low res might work for what you want. If you can do a physical test on the prop do it. That's the best way to find the resolution sweet spot. Good luck and Have fun with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

The resolution will effect all Motion effects used on a group. The higher the res the better the effect looks. For example I use the fireworks effect on my entire display using a group of all props to create a dissolving explosion effect. It starts out with the entire display lit and then explodes to all off. At lower resolutions the effect just didn't look good to me. When I set the resolution higher it smooth's out a lot. I had no Idea this was an issue until I actually started running the show and something didn't look right to me with those groups. I started out using low resolution on every group when I was sequencing. Of course I was using the preview widow to test how these effects looked. At low resolution the ME looked good in the preview. Once I started running the show the effects didn't look as clear and smooth as the preview did. I thought maybe adjusting the dimming curve would make things work as I intended but it did not change anything. So I adjusted all group resolution to the highest and I got things to look a lot better. Low res might work for what you want. If you can do a physical test on the prop do it. That's the best way to find the resolution sweet spot. Good luck and Have fun with it.

Thanks Box on Rails,

I thought the high/low res. setting was just for the preview window for quick redraw as it played the sequence, and the actual motion effect would be at its best for the actual lights.... will have to remember this if I notice anything strange for the next season. Cheers!

• Like 1