Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel matrix on garage door

pb9630

I know people have put huge matrixes on there garage doors, but has anyone done one that is movable so that i can still get access to the garage to park the cars? i have seen a few that is weighed down by a pvc pipe on the bottom of the matrix and someone will raise it up into the garage when the other person drives the car in. however that seems inefficient. I was thinking about making a wood / pvc frame as if its one fence door and where ever the ports are coming from i will attach it there and on the other end i would put a spring loaded wheel (driveway goes down toward the street) on the bottom of the other side so that it keeps it from getting to much weight on the pivoted side. Do i sound crazy in wanting to make this :) PS i may have already bought the PVC and netting and lights :)

1 hour ago, pb9630 said:

I know people have put huge matrixes on there garage doors, but has anyone done one that is movable so that i can still get access to the garage to park the cars? i have seen a few that is weighed down by a pvc pipe on the bottom of the matrix and someone will raise it up into the garage when the other person drives the car in. however that seems inefficient. I was thinking about making a wood / pvc frame as if its one fence door and where ever the ports are coming from i will attach it there and on the other end i would put a spring loaded wheel (driveway goes down toward the street) on the bottom of the other side so that it keeps it from getting to much weight on the pivoted side. Do i sound crazy in wanting to make this :) PS i may have already bought the PVC and netting and lights :)

Make a frame and place it on wheels.

My garage door doesnt face the street or I would have one as mentioned. My 4X8 matrix is frames with AL and an wheels. Need a source for AL framing shoot me a PM

JR

I went the PVC route, on the top and bottom of our matrices. We don't have a attached garage, but I covered the entire house lol.. The front door was a pain to get in and out of.. I'm surprised that segment still works, there have been a lot of people who have gone in and out the door, it always worried me with the power injection wires along the bottom.

-

Also this came to mind.. One of the guys on the AU forum had posted about his garage matrix, here is a behind the scenes video from him. He has his mounted on temporary fencing and it swings out like a gate. It seems like it would be a PITA to store away after the season though..

That is one thing I like about the top and bottom PVC method... They all roll up and take up very little space.

His behind the scenes video: https://youtu.be/wTsoS8iwsYI?t=648

Edited by canadianchristmas
Added a youtube link with a timestamp.

Maybe it was a dream but some company was working on a system to do just this.  The interesting part was they had "clips" for the lack of better word that attached to the sides and therefor you could raise and lower it without having to remove it.  It's been a bit since I saw something about it but this makes me want to see if I can find it again.

OK - a couple things,

1 -  stupid question - how do you reply to a specific person like you did JR? my only option is the general reply but it doesnt show the part of the conversation i am replying to like yours does.

2 - Thank you JR and canadian christmas i love both of the ideas. 

3 - Where the hell is the AU forum. is it the same address with .au ? 

4 - that is pretty much what i wanted to do except i want to go the full length as a gate not break it up into 2 parts, as i would need more controllers for it. But the concept is there for sure...

I don't have a matrix on my Garage but my Buddy Brian around the corner does. He set up a hinge system that lets him swing it up and then he holds it in place while his wife gets her car in and out. here is a link to his FB  page https://www.facebook.com/DancingLightsInHighland Send him a PM. I know he will share how he put it together. 

1 hour ago, Box on Rails said:

I don't have a matrix on my Garage but my Buddy Brian around the corner does. He set up a hinge system that lets him swing it up and then he holds it in place while his wife gets her car in and out. here is a link to his FB  page https://www.facebook.com/DancingLightsInHighland Send him a PM. I know he will share how he put it together. 

thank you i have sent him a message

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

At the bottom of the persons post - there is a "Quote" click it to insert their response into your reply

thank you

12 hours ago, pb9630 said:

1 -  stupid question - how do you reply to a specific person like you did JR? my only option is the general reply but it doesnt show the part of the conversation i am replying to like yours does.

You can also highlight the portion that you want to quote and a little popup will come up that says "Quote selection"  Once you start the reply with the quote selection, you can also go up into the original message (or a segment another message or person) as I am doing next.

12 hours ago, pb9630 said:

3 - Where the hell is the AU forum. is it the same address with .au ? 

There are lots of other lighting forums.  Here's the Australian Christmas Lighting and Do It Yourself Christmas forums.

https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php

• The topic was locked