Light-O-Rama Forums

Struggling with WOW Lights Ribbon Tree and Sequences

Zano

I am new to the RGB world.  I currently run a single CTB16PC controller and just purchased the WOW Lights Ribbon Tree package.  This included E1.31 RGB Controller (PixCon16), 12 ribbons, and 2 premade sequences.  I run my controllers on the LOR network instead of the E1.31.  I have S5 v5.6.8 and have my existing preview created that includes a ribbon tree (12 outputs), and I use the other 4 outputs for arches.  I successfully made my own sequences and have the computer talking to the controller and the lights/Unit IDs working properly.  I have 2 questions…

1.       With the purchased sequences from WOW Lights, how do I import that into my own preview.  First of all, the download comes as a .lms file for S4 software.  I’m struggling to convert it to S5 properly, and when it does, it is in the DMX configuration, not the LOR network convention.  Again, I am new to this and I know very little about networking.  Is there a way to get the WOW Lights purchased .lms file for a ribbon tree to convert to the .loredit file for S5, and make it work with my existing setup (preview) using the LOR networking conventions?

2.       I am confused about setting the amount of pixels in the network config utility and on the previews.  The ribbons that I received have 150 lights on them (paper work says 30 LEDs / meter and it is 5 meters long).  But all of the setup paperwork that came with the package, said that you use 50 LEDS/unit or ribbon.  Why only 50 here and not 150?

Thanks for your help!

#2 is the easy one.  If you look at the ribbon, you will see cutting points (not that you will be cutting them) about every 4 inches.  Between cutting points, there are three RGB LEDs, and one WS2811 integrated circuit chip.  Each chip is driving those three RGB LEDs in series.  It's the chips that matter, not the LEDs.

#1 takes a little more.  The reason that when you import them, it is the DMX config, it is because that is how the sequence was saved.  When you open the S4 sequence in S5, it will do a import conversion process.  Part of that is asking you which preview to use.  Because you are wanting to use LOR networking, you will have some conversion to do as part of the import.

That makes sense for the LEDs and chips.  I get it now.  Thank you for clearing that up!

When I open the s4 sequence in s5 and the conversion boxes open, it first asks to pick a preview.  Do I pick my real preview (it has the Ribbon Tree as an s5 prop)?  But when I move to the next screen where it tries to match channels, if I select all and then use the Auto button, it basically makes new strips and adds it to my preview.  If I select each on individually, I can assign it to the Ribbon Tree, but it won't let me multi select to edit more than one at a time and there are quite a few to edit, so that doesn't seem right.  I also tried modifying my preview to use 12 individual string props instead of the tree prop, but I have the same problem whre I would have to assign each individual DMX line.  Do I need to do something different with the preview or prop that I am trying to import it to?  Especially since I am using an LOR Network and the original file was DMX config.  How do I convert that to the LOR network?  I really don't even know where to start.  I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything relatable.  Maybe I am using the wrong key words for my search?  Are there any guides out there for this?

When you open the WOWLights lms file - you will NOT assign an existing preview - you will "Start a new Preview Named: " > then click "Next Step" > Then under Import From - select "Animation" then click "Next Step" > OK > OK....  You will now have a Preview & Sequence from Wowlights in S5 Format...

Create A New Sequence using YOUR Preview and same Audio File -  you will have Both Your Sequence Preview and the Wowlights Sequence Preview in sequencer Tabs.... You Can then Copy& Paste from theirs to yours....

On the Ribbon Strips - 3 LEDs equals 1 Pixel

Edited by Jimehc

I use WOW Lights exclusively (so far anyway) and think the "trick" in using the WOW lights sequences is to match your props in your preview as close as possible to those in the WOW lights preview. WOWLights provides their preview for download. Once everything is set up in your preview, export your channel config. Then you should be able to import the new sequence and assign it to your preview, then re-import the channel config. This past year, I added 5 new WOW Lights sequences in about a half hour. I still had a few tweaks here and there or else it would taken even less time. sometimes copy and paste is the easiest and fastest way to make the WOW sequences fit your preview..

The thing about using someone else sequences (acquired by sharing or purchasing) is that unless you have the same kind of house and yard, no to preview are exactly alike, so you need to make changes no matter what.

21 hours ago, Jimehc said:

When you open the WOWLights lms file - you will NOT assign an existing preview - you will "Start a new Preview Named: " > then click "Next Step" > Then under Import From - select "Animation" then click "Next Step" > OK > OK....  You will now have a Preview & Sequence from Wowlights in S5 Format...

Create A New Sequence using YOUR Preview and same Audio File -  you will have Both Your Sequence Preview and the Wowlights Sequence Preview in sequencer Tabs.... You Can then Copy& Paste from theirs to yours....

On the Ribbon Strips - 3 LEDs equals 1 Pixel

So I tried doing this, but I get stuck pretty quick.  After I select "start and new preview named" and hit next, the "Animation" button is greyed out and not selectable.  The only option I have is "visualiser".  Here is a screenshot.  Is there something I am missing here?

image.png.5cab051d15e30d9d7d8765c196dbb540.png

36 minutes ago, Zano said:

So I tried doing this, but I get stuck pretty quick.  After I select "start and new preview named" and hit next, the "Animation" button is greyed out and not selectable.  The only option I have is "visualiser".  Here is a screenshot.  Is there something I am missing here?

image.png.5cab051d15e30d9d7d8765c196dbb540.png

"IF" I was you I would forget about that and open the WOW lights sequence with the WOW lights preview. 

Create a new sequence with the same song using your preview and copy paste what works for you.

Less hassles.

JR

I was able to make it work.  I used pieces of advice from everyone here.  Thank you very much, I had no idea where to even begin.  This is how I did it, which may not have been the most efficient, but at least it works.

1. Download the WOWlights RGB Preview that includes the Ribbon Tree

2. Export the Ribbon Tree Prop

3. Make a copy of my existing preview and rename it, then import the ribbon tree prop you just created

4. Open the s4 file and select the new, renamed preview.

5. Take the default channel assignments and click through the screens to create your s5 file

6.  This should create an s5 file that has 12 ribbons, with each ribbon having 50 DMX channels

7. On a seperate tab, use my existing preview, but instead of using the s5 tree prop, make 12 individual rgb strings

8. For each string, create motion effect rows, then use the subdivide button to create 50 subdivisions

9. Copy/paste the 50 DMX rows from your 1st tab to the 50 motion effect rows in your tab 2 sequence, for each of the 12 strings

Like I said, there are probably better ways to do this, but I was able to get what I needed by doing it this way.

Thanks everyone for your help and pointing me in the right direction!

1 hour ago, Zano said:

I was able to make it work.  I used pieces of advice from everyone here.  Thank you very much, I had no idea where to even begin.  This is how I did it, which may not have been the most efficient, but at least it works.

1. Download the WOWlights RGB Preview that includes the Ribbon Tree

2. Export the Ribbon Tree Prop

3. Make a copy of my existing preview and rename it, then import the ribbon tree prop you just created

4. Open the s4 file and select the new, renamed preview.

5. Take the default channel assignments and click through the screens to create your s5 file

6.  This should create an s5 file that has 12 ribbons, with each ribbon having 50 DMX channels

7. On a seperate tab, use my existing preview, but instead of using the s5 tree prop, make 12 individual rgb strings

8. For each string, create motion effect rows, then use the subdivide button to create 50 subdivisions

9. Copy/paste the 50 DMX rows from your 1st tab to the 50 motion effect rows in your tab 2 sequence, for each of the 12 strings

Like I said, there are probably better ways to do this, but I was able to get what I needed by doing it this way.

Thanks everyone for your help and pointing me in the right direction!

The way that works for you is what is best. As you learn you can adjust your methods/

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

Hope I was some help! Glad you got it figured out. Again, once you get your preview right, you should be able to import directly to that preview.