Light-O-Rama Forums

1 RGB prop with 6 pixie16 controllers

Bwidi

I’m looking to do a very long walk through RGB tunnel. Up to 6 pixie16s. Can some point me in the right direction of how to configure 1 prop with multiple controllers? It’s my first year and I am somewhat proficient, but I have a lot to learn.  

Edited by Bwidi

Create each arch in the tunnel as its own prop. Then create a group of all arches (vertical stack). Then place motion effects on the group.

Matt

The pixie 16 just uses standard LOR channels so you prop just needs to match controller and port.   For example, I had 12 pixels strings around my tree using 2 pixie 8s.   In the prop definitions, i setup it up as controller 1, channel 1, controller 2, channel 1, controller 1, channel 2 and so on.    As long as the prop matchss the preview the actual channel didn't matter. 

Or as Matt said, you can create a group across them as well, I also used this technique in other places.   Either way, LOR figures it out once you apply the motion effect rows

Edited by TexasLights

Keep in mind that you will need several networks to support this so make sure you have the usb ports and adapters available.

52 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

If you do choose the PixieLink,  and I suggest you do,  your config file will not be regular LOR channels.   You must use DMX universes instead.  

Edited by ItsMeBobO

On 1/8/2022 at 4:09 PM, TexasLights said:

The pixie 16 just uses standard LOR channels so you prop just needs to match controller and port.   For example, I had 12 pixels strings around my tree using 2 pixie 8s.   In the prop definitions, i setup it up as controller 1, channel 1, controller 2, channel 1, controller 1, channel 2 and so on.    As long as the prop matchss the preview the actual channel didn't matter. 

Or as Matt said, you can create a group across them as well, I also used this technique in other places.   Either way, LOR figures it out once you apply the motion effect rows

They are Unit IDs in pixie series controllers not channels. There is a difference.

Your first pixie8 would have been something like

Unit ID’s. 1-8

Your second pixie8 would have been something like

Unit IDs 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F and 10

JR

16 hours ago, dibblejr said:

They are Unit IDs in pixie series controllers not channels. There is a difference.

Your first pixie8 would have been something like

Unit ID’s. 1-8

Your second pixie8 would have been something like

Unit IDs 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F and 10

JR

Don't forget when using the Hardware Utility (and you will for testing) only the set Unit ID for the controller shows in the HU display. There will be ports associated with the Pixie number ie. Pixie 4,8,16. One of my Pixie 16s is set to unit ID 05. It shows this way. "Found 1 Unit"  05 - Pixie16 Ver 1.06. Then under the port menu there will be a total of 16 to choose from. each port is sequentially numbered from the selected Unit ID of the controller by default. Here is the internal default port settings. Unit ID 05 is port 1, 06 is port 2, 07-port 3. 08-port 4, 09-port 5, 0A=port 6, 0B-port 7, 0C-port 8, 0D-port 9, 0E-port 10, 0F-port 11, 10-port 12, 11-port 13, 12-port 14, 13-port 15, 14-port-16. (See photos) My suggestion is to start your first pixie on unit 01 and reference the LOR manual for pixies to reference the unit ID table when setting up your show. in S5 you will need to make sure that you assign the right Unit ID to the correct port in each controller. This is where you use the Hardware Utility and S5 to verify that each prop is assigned to the correct Unit ID (port) in each pixie controller. 

Pixie Unit 05 2.png

Pixie Unit 05 1.png

43 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

Don't forget when using the Hardware Utility (and you will for testing) only the set Unit ID for the controller shows in the HU display. There will be ports associated with the Pixie number ie. Pixie 4,8,16. One of my Pixie 16s is set to unit ID 05. It shows this way. "Found 1 Unit"  05 - Pixie16 Ver 1.06. Then under the port menu there will be a total of 16 to choose from. each port is sequentially numbered from the selected Unit ID of the controller by default. Here is the internal default port settings. Unit ID 05 is port 1, 06 is port 2, 07-port 3. 08-port 4, 09-port 5, 0A=port 6, 0B-port 7, 0C-port 8, 0D-port 9, 0E-port 10, 0F-port 11, 10-port 12, 11-port 13, 12-port 14, 13-port 15, 14-port-16. (See photos) My suggestion is to start your first pixie on unit 01 and reference the LOR manual for pixies to reference the unit ID table when setting up your show. in S5 you will need to make sure that you assign the right Unit ID to the correct port in each controller. This is where you use the Hardware Utility and S5 to verify that each prop is assigned to the correct Unit ID (port) in each pixie controller. 

Pixie Unit 05 2.png

Pixie Unit 05 1.png

Kenny

This may help you a bit

Edited by dibblejr

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Kenny

This may help you a bit

Thanks. I 'm not having an issue. I was just trying to explain a little further to Bwidi the terms used with setting up a Pixie16 controller in terms of both the software and hardware. The Pixie 16 has only 1 unit ID with 16 ports. The ports are virtual Units starting with the assigned unit ID as port 1. This is all I was trying to convey. For a newbie to pixe16 controllers, It's easy to get things mixed up especially with the LOR unit ID Numbering system as we both know. That's why I suggested he have the LOR pixie manual and reference the Unit ID numbering chart so when he sets up his arches he assigns the right unit ID to the correct arch prop.  Bwidi got a lot of good info here. I believe he'll get it.