Light-O-Rama Forums

windows 7

sysco

4 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes.

Don is there any up grades that have to be done my old computer its running windows 7 have not used it in years thank you for your quick reply 

I run my show on a Windows 7 computer.  As it's an old computer, take a look at the video card capabilities and RAM.  Note:  playing a show takes FAR less resources than sequencing.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I run my show on a Windows 7 computer.  As it's an old computer, take a look at the video card capabilities and RAM.  Note:  playing a show takes FAR less resources than sequencing.

my computer is a dell xps8300 with intel [r] core [tm] i7 2600 cpu @3.40 - 3.40 duel processors-- 6 gb of memory---64 bit system i guess i will have to up the memory ?  what do you think    thank you for your reply  

As a show player, that is FAR more than needed.  That exceeds what my show computer has both in memory and CPU - and I'm controlling over 66 thousand channels just fine.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

As a show player, that is FAR more than needed.  That exceeds what my show computer has both in memory and CPU - and I'm controlling over 66 thousand channels just fine.

ok so i won't have to up grade anything, Jim i'm not much with computers so thank you for your input  will read some more about S5 and clean up the computer a bit and install S5 by the end of the month will have to make a preview and go from there would you mind if i contacted you for guidance  thank  you Blair 

20 hours ago, sysco said:

will S5 work on windows 7 thank you  

Yes, and I installed it on a system with a LOT LESS capabilities than what you posted later about your machine.  Mine only has 2GB Ram and I think the processor is dual core, but think the speed is 2.x something or other.   I put S5 on it temporarily, and it ran fine, but went back to S4 for 2021.  However, I do have a Win10 machine that everything will get transferred to later in 2022 using S5, that is,  if all works out as I hope it will.   I'm just learning S5 as well.

On my Win 7 machine I run 9 CCB100D using  5V RGB 50 bulb strands {2 per controller}, 1 CCC-II 12V Pixie Controller{operate my 6 HC Coro 10W RGB floods and a strand of 100 12V RGB Pixels., 2 LOR Pixie2D series 12V RGB Singing LOR Trees.  It will also run a Pixie16D, 16 Port controller with multiple RGB CCR ribbons, additional RGB pixel strands and RGB floods.

So, it doesn't take much for a show, but only when sequencing, sometimes I'll connect something up to the actual USB Adapters to make sure its going to run properly from the sequence before going live with a particular sequence or sequences.   As the system can be quite slow and make things look like they are lagging on the computer, but in the show, they are usually, in most cases spot on.  Sometimes a little tweaking is needed, but not often, and not very much, if any.

I'm seriously considering going back to using a computer for my shows for 2022, instead of a Director, but that depends on a few things I'd need to do to interconnect it {computer} to the outside world.

Hi Orville thank you for your reply  i have to agree about the computer maybe over kill i don't have a lot of pixels really  12 ccr tree and my house and arches are ccr's for a total of 33 ccrs plus 16 pixie controller  the rest are ac controllers for 4 faces and 8 posts and 10 candy canes and 4 bushes 2 colors per bush all leds if i can get an understanding of S5 may change all ac's to pixels not that good with S4 yet have that on another machine ???