Light-O-Rama Forums

Display plans for 2022

ebrown1972

I am always a little curious what everyone's plans are for their display in the upcoming year. The last 2 years, I was undecided if I would even have a display. Both times, I ended up doing my show though. My previous job was extremely stressful and in July of this past year, I retired from my job after a little over 20 years. I now have a job that I truly enjoy and I virtually have no stress. I feel that I will be able to devote more time and care in my show for this upcoming year. 

My plans are to actually spend some time sequencing throughout the year like I used to do. The last 2 years, I really haven't done much in the way of sequencing.

I am also adding 4 35w flood lights and plan to shine those on my huge oak tree. My oak tree has never been part of my display. 

I am also adding more 5mm strobes. I love those things! I had 4000 in my dispay this past year and have already purchased 2600 more.

So for me it's more sequencing (that's what truly makes a show and not so much how many lights or props one has) and adding some strobes and floods.

Please, share your plans for the upcoming year.

Eric

I will be moving from California to North Carolina this summer.  Most likely I will not have a display this year.  But I am looking forward to designing a new layout for a new house.  Have been doing my current display for 9 years at my current location.

• Like 1

For me, if I do a display next year (I never really know until the summer it seems).

I will be getting rid of all my 12v pixel strip, and replacing it with either bullet or square 5v nodes with something like chroma trim to mount them to my existing pvc frames.

It would be nice to add a mega tree, I had one planned for this year but ran out of time and lost motivation. 

Another thing that would be nice is doing some work on the electrical side of things, this year I ran a lot of my show off the stove socket using a custom sub panel (I unplugged our stove when the show ran, and no I don't recommend anyone else do it if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Especially  given the smaller gauge neutral lines typically found in most appliance wiring and the current draw limitations that apply as a result).

So installing a permanent sub panel is on my list of things to do, to make the show easier to run and less invasive on my family and day to day life.

I would also like to add more singing trees which I think will be all pixels.

Another thing I would like to look into is the quinled controllers and their ESP32 boards or alternatively the Olimex ESP32 boards, as those could be awesome low cost alternatives to my E6804s for future props and additions to my display. I like more DIY based controllers at this point especially if the design is open source, things like falcons are just no fun to me haha.

I would like to start sequencing, and building things for my show earlier in the year too. This year I started in September, it wasn’t fun trying to cram my whole show into such a short window of time.

And finally, I would like to get involved with the food bank and start collecting donations. I feel like that would make my crazy light addiction more worthwhile and it would help contribute to a good cause.

So those are some of the things I have in mind for 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I am always a little curious what everyone's plans are for their display in the upcoming year. The last 2 years, I was undecided if I would even have a display. Both times, I ended up doing my show though. My previous job was extremely stressful and in July of this past year, I retired from my job after a little over 20 years. I now have a job that I truly enjoy and I virtually have no stress. I feel that I will be able to devote more time and care in my show for this upcoming year. 

My plans are to actually spend some time sequencing throughout the year like I used to do. The last 2 years, I really haven't done much in the way of sequencing.

I am also adding 4 35w flood lights and plan to shine those on my huge oak tree. My oak tree has never been part of my display. 

I am also adding more 5mm strobes. I love those things! I had 4000 in my dispay this past year and have already purchased 2600 more.

So for me it's more sequencing (that's what truly makes a show and not so much how many lights or props one has) and adding some strobes and floods.

Please, share your plans for the upcoming year.

Eric

Great for you on the retirement and less stressful job. 

Hopefully all of us will have shows in 2022, it was more stressful for me not to have a show in 2021, not one but I was able to help a bunch of people with their shows making it worth not having a show.

JR

• Like 1

I never really know how my show set up will be, not until I actually start putting it into place.  I move my items around every year.   I just do what I feel like, as I put in the items I decide to use.  I left out a few items in my show last year {2021}, they may or may not make an appearance in my 2022 show.  They are in my sequences, even sequenced, but sometimes I just leave items out due to my limited space, so my display is always small.   So, I just do it on whatever whim I have when putting items out in the area I have to work with.

I have never used a plan to build up my display, not even once since I started in this hobby after Christmas 2009, but officially I consider my start year as January 2010.

• Like 1

My main goal for my 2022 show is to add more props that can be used in both my Halloween and Christmas shows so there is less work between the them. One Item I am adding is the GE Spooky Singing Tree and also adding 4 Round singing Christmas ornaments to hang from the tree. I will use these props in both shows. I will also be increasing the number of pixels in my matrix by 800 going from 50x 32 with 2 inch spacing to a 50 x 48 with 1 inch spacing. and if the budget allows a second 50 x 48 matrix will be added. 2021 was the first year I used a Matrix and it was the hit of the show. So being the Addict I am, If one is good 2 is even better. Happy 2022 everyone and be well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

I also be increasing the number of pixels in my matrix by 800 going from 50x 32 with 2 inch spacing to a 50 x 48 with 1 inch spacing. and if the budget allows a second 50 x 48 matrix will be added. 2021 was the first year I used a Matrix and it was the hit of the show.

I did not get out to your show this year so did not see it.

Your show is by necessity fairly close to the audience, so the tighter spacing will look far better.  You may even want to look into a P10 matrix. 

• Like 1

One of these days (hopefully for next year), I'll get around to figuring out how to  connect up the two strips I use in my arches to free up one port on the Pixie II that controls the current two strips and connect up two strands of bulbs that outline my garage and front door to free up a port on that Pixie II. That would give me two more ports for Smart RGB props. Not sure, but Firesticks come to mind. AND I'm REALLY considering running an HDMI cable from the garage where I keep the show computer up to the bathroom directly above to add VIDEO. I already have about 5 clips that match the audio of existing sequences.

• Like 1

Besides doing repairs (which seem to be increasing this year), I'll probably do more with pixels (depending on how much my wife lets me spend 😁).  I'd also like to sequence some new music as it' been over 2 years since I've added any new music to the show.

• Like 1

Although the plans aren't finalized yet, there are a couple things that are nailed down. I will be doubling the amount of 10w flood lights from 6 to 12 to increase visual impact and to allow for smoother chases across the facade of the house. I will also rework some of the elements to make them easier to install. I am experimenting with some possible new additions to the display as well, although this year will mainly be about refining what I already have. Each year I orchestrate a different themed soundtrack for my show and create all new choreography so even if the layout doesn't change drastically, the experience of viewing it is always fresh.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tlogan said:

One of these days (hopefully for next year), I'll get around to figuring out how to  connect up the two strips I use in my arches to free up one port on the Pixie II that controls the current two strips and connect up two strands of bulbs that outline my garage and front door to free up a port on that Pixie II. That would give me two more ports for Smart RGB props. Not sure, but Firesticks come to mind. AND I'm REALLY considering running an HDMI cable from the garage where I keep the show computer up to the bathroom directly above to add VIDEO. I already have about 5 clips that match the audio of existing sequences.

Depending on the strips you can buy strip extensions/ repair adapters. If I can remember tomorrow or more than likely Wed (off day) i can look in my barn and find the company I and another member here used. In the beginning we both failed the test order (they were to wide) at that point I quit but he succeeded and ordered or exchanged for the correct size. Perhaps he sees this and will reply.

If you dont see me reply Wed give me a yell to go in my barn and look for them. I know where they are just have to remember to take a pic.

Edit

That was fast. They look like the one linked below but will be specific for your ribbons. As you can see the adapter can be used to repair a break or add a length of cable to make an extension.

Amazon.com : QIJIE RGB LED Connector for 10mm Non-Waterproof / Silicon Waterproof Strip Light, 4 Pin Board to Wire LED Tape Splice Terminal,Work with WS2813, WS2815, Not Include Wire, 10 PCS : Tools & Home Improvement

JR

Edited by dibblejr

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You may even want to look into a P10 matrix. 

Don't worry about not getting out here to see my show. With my eyesight failing I couldn't get out to see your show either. but next year I have a ride. my son just got his license and that gives me a chauffer. 😁 I have been really thinking about a P10 Matrix. How do these panels communicate with my LOR network? Are they DMX? Where do you get your panels from? 

Kenny

As far as LOR is concerned, it's just another E1.31 controller.

These days, quite a few sources for P5 and P10 matrix parts and pieces.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Depending on the strips you can buy strip extensions/ repair adapters. If I can remember tomorrow or more than likely Wed (off day) i can look in my barn and find the company I and another member here used. In the beginning we both failed the test order (they were to wide) at that point I quit but he succeeded and ordered or exchanged for the correct size. Perhaps he sees this and will reply.

If you dont see me reply Wed give me a yell to go in my barn and look for them. I know where they are just have to remember to take a pic.

Edit

That was fast. They look like the one linked below but will be specific for your ribbons. As you can see the adapter can be used to repair a break or add a length of cable to make an extension.

Amazon.com : QIJIE RGB LED Connector for 10mm Non-Waterproof / Silicon Waterproof Strip Light, 4 Pin Board to Wire LED Tape Splice Terminal,Work with WS2813, WS2815, Not Include Wire, 10 PCS : Tools & Home Improvement

JR

Thanks, JR!

My strips are the ones LOR sells. This is my third year with them and they are holding up well. They are 3-pin, which seem to be fewer and further between than the 4-pin. After some research, so far, it seems that almost all of them say they are not compatible with IP68 waterproof strips, such as the LOR strip. Ultimately, I think that adding an LOR dangle to the end of one strip would make it easy to connect them together and easy to replace should one go bad. It would be really nice if LOR offered them with connectors on both ends.

I'll hang on and see if the other mysterious member found connectors that work.  

• The topic was locked