Light-O-Rama Forums

Best LED lights to purchase

Debbi13

Now that the season is almost over, we are going to start purchasing LED lights, at least we hope a little at a time as we have 30,000 lights needed to be replaced.

What are the best kind to buy?  We are in Michigan and get crappy weather LOL so need something that will last.  I was looking at Home Depot Holiday Accents and I don't know what we need to look for.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Debbi

There really are no best as all led pixels are made in China. Look for any of the sales that happen in January and February at all the pre-sales to save some money.

Most box stores do not sell SEALED sockets. You need Commercial grade (and those tend to be Full wave also 👍)

The leads seem to rust off the cheap ones. (You could pull every lamp and use a dab of Dialectic Grease... but 32000 😲 )

Sounds like you are asking about "traditional" strings as opposed to RGB pixels.  Holiday Light Express is where I have bought all of my commercial grade sealed LED strings.  A lot more expensive than the cheap ones you get at big box stores, but the reliability makes them worth it.

https://www.holiday-light-express.com/

BTW, if you go the big box store router - AVOID Martha Stewart brand.  They have a reputation of catching fire when dimmed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Sounds like you are asking about "traditional" strings as opposed to RGB pixels.  Holiday Light Express is where I have bought all of my commercial grade sealed LED strings.  A lot more expensive than the cheap ones you get at big box stores, but the reliability makes them worth it.

https://www.holiday-light-express.com/

BTW, if you go the big box store router - AVOID Martha Stewart brand.  They have a reputation of catching fire when dimmed.

Agree, Jim is right on, if you wait till February or March Holiday Light Express has their sale and you can save, and they are a stand-up company with a no questions asked warranty. I have a lot of HLE lights still going strong after 7 seasons, granted we are Florida without snow but do have the heat/humidity to deal with.

Keith

I like many others have bought from HLE and I have had good luck with them. They are located in Vicksburg Michigan. Not sure how far from you that is since your signature says Canton Michigan, but if they are close, you might be able to save shipping charges.

Wayne

I bought most of my sealed commercial strings 8 to 10 years ago, before moving to pixels. Nearly all those strings are still working in my display or at my son's house. Yes they are more expensive, but I haven't dealt with any bulb failures in all that time. 

My LED icicle lights, blue and warm white, from Creative Displays (CDI) are wrapping up their 10th season.  CDI starts their pre-order sale in January.  One potential drawback is that they only sell by the case.

The Christmas Light Emporium sells good commercial grade LED lights. Again, they are much more expensive than big box store lights but will last for the long haul.

I have LED strings from 2 different vendors.  All of my original sets from CDI which are going on their 10+ years. And yes a few failures along the way. But if you  know how to repair them they can last along time.

Most recent purchase this year was from HLE, it was an emergency purchase due to a couple of my original stings had catostophic failure. They are exactly like the ones from CDI. Sealed and full wave rectified. and the colors are the same.

As others have said, purchase sealed commercial grade that are full wave rectified. They will be dimmable and have no flicker.