Light-O-Rama Forums

Had an odd issue

rcktpwrd

We have 6 CTB16PC Gen3 controllers in our display. Sunday, we didn't run the show due to rain all day. Monday everything was dried out, so the show ran as scheduled. Except that it was not working quite right. The first sequence is the Star-Spangled Banner and I have most of the display dimmed to 20%, so the lights are just barely on to highlight some other parts of the display. Most all of the lights that were supposed to be dim were off all together! A couple channels were on at the 20% and the channels that were on full bright and/or turning on/off were working. I checked that the proper sequence was loaded and playing and looked correct in the editor, all good there. I restarted the laptop, no change, figured I'd let it go for the rest of the season as most everything else was working as it should. 

I also went into the hardware utility and tried dimming the lights to the 20% and nothing light up! They would fade to 100% no problem.

Today I thought maybe the controllers need a 'reset' for some reason, so I unplugged all of them for a short time then plugged them back in. The show now seems to be working properly once again. Never had an issue like this before but the old power off/on seems to have fixed the glitch...

Sounds like you got some moisture in a network connection. Check all you cables and make sure all the connection and plugs are free of corrosion. I had almost the same thing happen and It went away by it's self.  After the first rain this year it started happening and after things dried out it went away but during the second rain it came back so I started running tests in the rain and I found two Cat 5 cables that somehow got moisture in the connections. once I replaced them the data flowed without issue. It doesn't take very much moisture to reek havoc in a network. 

• Thanks 1

I suppose that is a possibility. This is the first year I am using the short dongles to move the cat5 connections to the outside of the boxes. I also had to connect two cat5 cables together with the same connector the short dongles use. 

On 12/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, rcktpwrd said:

I suppose that is a possibility. This is the first year I am using the short dongles to move the cat5 connections to the outside of the boxes. I also had to connect two cat5 cables together with the same connector the short dongles use. 

I did the same thing with all My CCP boxes and that is when the issue started happening with my show. I was using plain Cat 5 connecters and they got corroded which caused the issue described. Now I use these on all my Cat 5 connection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7445H5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  So far the issue has been resolved even in a heavy rain.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked