Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP on S5

Godney

I did a license key upgrade on software only it Upgraded me to S5 is their a way to go back to old program S3 or 4 because S5 SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just uninstall, and download the version you want from the download page. Every major version is there.

S5 is a major change from prior versions and is a steep learning curve but well worth the effort.

If you post your issues there is lots of help available here and in video tutorials.

Thank you for your help Phil as i said my opinion is mine S5 is bad, typical Engineer they design things only an Engineer understands not for everyday People and why is LOR forcing S5 on us, all i wanted to do was upgrade my version number which i have before and S5 shows up out of nowhere and by the way Don if S5 is so perfect then why is it always getting bad comments on the Forums.

Edited by Godney

S5 as said has a pretty steep learning curve.  Once learned, there are a lot of things that are far easier to do in S5 than in S3 or S4.  One of the reasons it has been recommended more times than  can count to NOT upgrade to S5 this time of the year.  Standard recommendation is to upgrade to S5 right after you tear down your Christmas show.  That will give you most of the year to learn it.  BTW, a cute little birdie told me that there is going to be extensive migration to S5 training starting early next year.  Most of the people who never learned S4, and started with S5 are having little or no trouble with it - because they are not having to un-learn the old way of doing things.

In full disclosure, I started LOR with 2.9.4 and have used almost every version that came out since.  I downloaded S5 on the day it came out in beta test, but that was just to get my feet wet with it.  I ran that years show in S4.  Started the migration to S5 the following January, and realistically spent about three years before everything was fully migrated to the S5 way of doing things.  No way would I want to go back.

BTW, S5 did not automagically install itself.  It got there because YOU downloaded and installed it.  May not be what you intended to do...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Godney said:

Thank you for your help Phil as i said my opinion is mine S5 is bad, typical Engineer they design things only an Engineer understands not for everyday People and why is LOR forcing S5 on us, all i wanted to do was upgrade my version number which i have before and S5 shows up out of nowhere and by the way Don if S5 is so perfect then why is it always getting bad comments on the Forums.

Are you sure you didn't click on it by mistake. I have helped a lot of people and have downloaded S4 just this week on another laptop for my BIL and it downloaded what they all have selected. 

I'm here every day and don't read a whole lot of problems regarding S5 but I read about a lot of users who do not understand how it works. Its that time of year where everyone finally picks up their computers and controllers and forget how things work.

Just now, dibblejr said:

Are you sure you didn't click on it by mistake. I have helped a lot of people and have downloaded S4 just this week on another laptop for my BIL and it downloaded what they all have selected. 

I'm here every day and don't read a whole lot of problems regarding S5 but I read about a lot of users who do not understand how it works. Its that time of year where everyone finally picks up their computers and controllers and forget how things work.

@ K6ccc   in case you was wondering, I thought I posted this a long time ago and when you replied mine was sitting there in a que "restored content" LOL not sure why it didn't post.

JR

3 hours ago, Godney said:

No one is forcing S5 on you. When you downloaded it the software, it tells you what version you are about to download, if you read the screen. It didn't show up out of nowhere - You downloaded it.

The lead programmer has a display, and uses LOR software. The software has an 'Open Beta' structure, in that it's beta tested by the general public before it goes 'live.' Changes that have been suggested by customers have been implemented. If you are going to blame the programmers, you might as well blame every single customer who bothered to beta test and give their opinion.

Name one product that exists today that doesn't get bad comments.

One last word. It is now four years I think since S5 came out as an open beta. There were many issues found and addressed during the beta and the early releases which were fixed, but generated much comment, my own included. S5 is now a mature product and IMO the most stable of all. I can't recall a single crash which is more than I can say for S4.

In the end though it is entirely up to you, but if you are using pixels it is by far, better than S4, once you get over the hump.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am no computer tec guy at all so when I switched to S5 from S4 I was very lost. I had very little RGB controllers in my show at that time and I hated the way S5 sequenced standard LOR Incan Controllers. But I kept with it and today I love S5 and all of the changes that have been made in S5 over time has add to he ease of use. From motion effects to creating Props it's so easy and that's coming from a guy who hated S5 at first. If you have a large show with lots of props, Give S5 a chance. you won't regret it. and now is the perfect time to start messing with it. Be well and have fun with it. also here is a link to some really good videos on S5. Most are short and to the point. https://www.youtube.com/c/LuminousHarmony

• The topic was locked