Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering iron station

ebrown1972

I am considering purchasing a soldering iron station. Does anyone have any reccomendations on which one to purchase? Thanks,

Eric

There is a huge spread on capabilities and prices.  Are you looking for a basic soldering station, or a rework station with vacuum removal?

What are you attempting to solder? Unless you will be rebuilding or repairing pcb's a soldering / reflow station is not really a requirement in this hobby. A Jim says above they can range in prices and capabilities. You can get adapters that allow you to heat an entire chip for removal. I used to repair gaming systems and it was necessary to have a solder station but for this hobby I have only needed a heat gun.

JR

33 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

There is a huge spread on capabilities and prices.  Are you looking for a basic soldering station, or a rework station with vacuum removal?

Jim, I'm just looking for a basic station. All I will be using it for mainly is soldering pixel connections together.

I still use my Weller WTCP that I bought in the 70's (same model the production line used at work).  It has interchangeable tip that controlled the temperature  (6,7,800) via magnetic properties of the tip selected. The tips were offered in various shapes.  The base was a simple 24VAC transformer and the handle had a magnetic switch in the heater/barrel. Simple, easy to repair (remember these got 8-16 hours of daily use.

I also have A Weller Princess (60W and a 100W cartridge that was such a brute that they were pulled from sale) . I also have my dads old Weller Soldering Gun (the big one) which I rarely use because I hate waiting for the tip to cycle up to temp, but it is great for non-bench repairs. And I still have the handle from my old Wood burning kit. It will accept a C7 bulb (I used that for tigh spot inspections) as well as soldering cartridges

Weller still has Simple Temperature controlled handles, which are perfect for casual (not for SMD removal) hobbyist use.

So  figure out WHAT, HOW and WHERE you want to use this tool. This is another case of OSFA is not the solution   25W might be fine for delicate work, and 100W will lift pads, burn insulation...

If you plan 'field repairs'  (up on a ladder), a good battery model like the Milwaukee  ( I only suggest this because this is a member of the M12 series of tools, so the batteries fit ALL the M12 tools))

Can't go wrong with the Weller soldering stations.  I have a newer version than TheDucks WTCP that has interchangable tips for different shapes, but a knob to set temperature.  One of these days I will get a station with a vacuum solder sucker - when I get some space in the room back and have space to set up a proper workbench.

Greetings,

I have used the Weller WE1010 for about three years. It works really well for me with no problems. Amazon has it right now for $101.60. Get a couple of extra tips for fine soldering on those strip lights.

I still use my old Weller WTCPL iron.  I bought it about 45 years ago.  Replaced a few tips along the way - still works like a charm!

I built lots of LOR Controllers, E6804's, E682's, and my Ramsey Electronics FM transmitter FM30B with it.

If just soldering nodes I would just buy a cheap heat gun and the pre soldered butt connectors. You need the pink 18-22 ga connectors. Amazon is a good source.

JR

I like to solder my conections,  I also make sure I get the 60/40 lead/tin solder . It melts at a lower tempature then the other mixes.  I have just a plain old solder nothing special and does a great job.  

I have a X-Tronic solder station that I dust off when doing a lot of soldering and it works well, but I don't use it very often these days for pixels.  I typically use a solder pot to tin the wires and use solder seal/heat shrink connectors and a small heat gun instead.   Strip the wires, twist the ends, dip them in flux, dip the ends in the solder pot, place one butt connector on at a time and heat shrink it good enough to hold the wires together, repeat the process until all the connectors are on, then heat all three until fully sealed.  Huge time saver and have less problems.  I typically place a larger 3:1 heat shrink tube over the connectors afterward.  Even if you preferred not to use the heat gun connectors for some reason, I would still highly recommend the solder pot.  Life changing if you do much soldering. 

• The topic was locked