Light-O-Rama Forums

USB Ports on Computers

Orville

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Keyboard and mouse are two, maybe another for an audio adapter, maybe another for a second LAN (more common if you use E1.31, and then one for each LOR or DMX network.  Real easy to go through a bunch.  Easier to use built in USB ports rather than an external hub.    Laptops are often fairly USB port restricted, but these days, it is not at all uncommon for a desktop computer to have a minimum of 6 and frequently more than that.  I just looked at this one - it has three in front and six more in back.

The Win 10 system a refurbished Dell I got for less than $130 has 10, but the weird thing was, it wasn't actually 10 on the computer itself, it has 4 in the back 2 on the front and 4 on the backside, underneath the monitor that came with it.   I'd never seen USB output ports on a monitor before, only catch is, if the monitor is turned off, so are the USB ports on it, even if the desktop is on, turning off the monitor shuts down the ports.  That's my only complaint with the monitor based USB ports, at least that's how they work on the particular monitor that came with my system.  So, I can't turn off the monitor and keep those 4 ports live.  I was hoping that the computer cable feeding the power to those USB ports {looks like a Printer type USB Cable} would keep them live, even if the monitor was off, but nope, it won't.   No settings I can find that would change that either. :(

Edited by Orville

5 hours ago, Orville said:

The Win 10 system a refurbished Dell I got for less than $130 has 10, but the weird thing was, it wasn't actually 10 on the computer itself, it has 4 in the back 2 on the front and 4 on the backside, underneath the monitor that came with it.   I'd never seen USB output ports on a monitor before, only catch is, if the monitor is turned off, so are the USB ports on it, even if the desktop is on, turning off the monitor shuts down the ports.  That's my only complaint with the monitor based USB ports, at least that's how they work on the particular monitor that came with my system.  So, I can't turn off the monitor and keep those 4 ports live.  I was hoping that the computer cable feeding the power to those USB ports {looks like a Printer type USB Cable} would keep them live, even if the monitor was off, but nope, it won't.   No settings I can find that would change that either. :(

USB ports were pretty common on Dell Business class LCD monitors (in the 2000's) with detachable metal bases. I think the theory was access as most CPU boxes were under desks.

And you are correct. They shared the power switch with the display (they are really just a powered USB Hub in the monitor case).  MAC keyboards had a port (not USB) for the Mouse from day 1

6 hours ago, Orville said:

and 4 on the backside, underneath the monitor that came with it.   I'd never seen USB output ports on a monitor before,

That's been very common for quite a few years.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

USB ports were pretty common on Dell Business class LCD monitors (in the 2000's) with detachable metal bases. I think the theory was access as most CPU boxes were under desks.

And you are correct. They shared the power switch with the display (they are really just a powered USB Hub in the monitor case).  MAC keyboards had a port (not USB) for the Mouse from day 1

I've seen USB ports on keyboards, just never a monitor.  And if it's supposed to be for a mouse, the keyboard USB has never worked or powered any mice I've ever connected to them.  Always seemed to be a useless port to me.

Edited by Orville

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's been very common for quite a few years.

Well, let's see, I think the last time I had bought a "brand new" computer before this refurbished Dell about a year ago now, was back in 1990. LOL   So I don't replace my stuff with the latest and greatest as long as its working for what I need it for.  I just keep using these old dinosaurs! LOL

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I've seen USB ports on keyboards, just never a monitor.  And if it's supposed to be for a mouse, the keyboard USB has never worked or powered any mice I've ever connected to them.  Always seemed to be a useless port to me.

@Orville I worked for a professional desktop IT moving company in the Silicon Valley. We would  tear down and pack the users desktop systems, the re install in their new home. I've touched thousands of monitors (modern desktop users have 2. The highest was SIX 😲 (on 1 PC) )

On 12/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, TheDucks said:

@Orville I worked for a professional desktop IT moving company in the Silicon Valley. We would  tear down and pack the users desktop systems, the re install in their new home. I've touched thousands of monitors (modern desktop users have 2. The highest was SIX 😲 (on 1 PC) )

That's what my current {win 7 Home} dinosaur has, 6 USB Ports built in, monitor has none, had to add a powered hub to get 7 more ports.  I have an internal 5 Port USB hub that plugs into a slot, but this one I'm using {S4} and the one I bought {for S5}, the cases are too darn small to install it, along with my Enhanced Graphics Card I'd like to use.  They fit in a tower case just fine, what I *thought* I was getting when I ordered the new refurbished Win10 computer, but the case is far too short to install them in these 2 systems.

@Orville OH YES! The Small Form Factor  case is NOT for those who who do stuff other than type. There were sites I did not buy from because Dell uses the same model # for the line of sizes and the ad was not clear as to what was being shipped

Another reason I buy from the Business Class is The Power Supply.  Home units have just the bare bones in Watts.

I went to add a USB3 card to a Mid Tower Dimension (from Wal*Mart): ZERO extra disk power connectors (THE DRIVE BAY STILL HAD SPACES) (and I thought e-machines were skimpy :/ )

Also beware of the Proprietary SHAPED (no the old AT style) PSU. No 'Oh, I will just drop a 500W in place'