Light-O-Rama Forums

Holiday Coro 16 segment Candy Canes

k6ccc

For those that have built one or more of the HolidayCoro 16 segment candy canes, really honestly, how long did it take to build each one?

The HC video on construction says 15 - 20 minutes.  I find that number un-realistic. 

Any other comments on the construction.

Looking at the reviews on them, I'd say you're right about the time.  It's unrealistic to believe these can be built in 15 minutes.  Maybe if the pixels were pre-made, but from what I'm reading, you have a lot of steps and soldering to do, as you have to make the pixel strand for each cane yourself, along with a lot of hot gluing.

The reviews give them a good rating, but most of them do say, they'll take some, or a lot of time, to get done.

My only complaint with them is, if I only wanted 2, a right and a left candy cane, you have to buy 2 of each that are the same.  I don't quite understand why they can't have a 3rd option where you get 1 left and 1 right cane, if that's all you need to fit your need.

Although, I've considered them, just too much for me now.   I like items I just plug the pre-made strands into and go.  But if I still had the same skills of soldering I did many moons ago, I'd have no issue building these.  They do look very nice.

Edited by Orville

I have 8 in my display and yes they take longer to build than 15 minutes. By the time I did the last one I would say about 45 minutes each. I got faster with each one. Get extra glue sticks and a decent glue gun.  You can also by the pixel squares for them I believe 32 per strand that you will need to put connectors on. Not much soldering at all, suggest also buying solder sleeves too easy. If you go to YouTube you can see them for the past few years in my display Search “Marty’s Christmas in Cold Lake 2021 …. They are on my front deck.  

My gut feel lines up with Marty. The first will take the longest (My WAG, 4X), while you figure out things. You should get down to 20 in the end if you have all the tools

Having that large, STABLE work surface helps.  Not much soldering if you use modules that are chained together (IIRC the HC rectangles come in 10's)

If you use RGB extensions use 10' CUT at 2' with the short piece the feed, and the long piece, the Chain out (One of the vids showed putting extra holes in the dividers to route that back to the base)

I'm glad to see it's not just me.  I bought six of them a couple years ago and for various reasons never got them built.  Finally got them sequenced this year so figured I really should build them.  My one mistake is that the rectangular pixel modules I bought (20 per string) were a little short on wire length between modules.  I was able to make them reach on the straight section, but had to add in a couple inches in four places to get around the curve.  That was my error and I am not really counting it in the time requirement.  I built them partially in a batch process.  First I cut out all of the black coro so that gave me six sets of dividers and the six back pieces.  Then I attached the pixel modules and did all the wiring for input cable, and pass through to the next cane.  Because I needed to pass power and data to the next cane, that added some time that would not have been an issue if each cane was a separate output from the controller.  Having all the wiring also allowed me to test the pixel modules BEFORE starting any gluing.

Next batch was to cut up an entire shipping box to make up the side strips.  Last batch process was to glue each cane together.  I have the handy Coro Claw tool and that does make parts of the process faster.  So far, I have three of the candy canes built, and just the gluing process (without any mistakes or re-dos) is WELL over an hour.  Just gluing each of the 15 dividers is a half hour - a good part of that holding each piece in place while the hot glue cools enough to be solid enough to let go.  I don't how that part can be sped up much unless you have a cold air gun.

I like the look and am looking forward to having the other three canes in the show.  I will do that Friday if the weather allows - I am working outside for this and it may be raining Friday....

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'So far, I have three of the candy canes built, and just the gluing process (without any mistakes or re-dos) is WELL over an hour.  Just gluing each of the 15 dividers is a half hour - a good part of that holding each piece in place while the hot glue cools enough to be solid enough to let go.  I don't how that part can be sped up much unless you have a cold air gun.

A small 12VDC Powered Computer Fan works wonders for this.   I took an old Pringles can,  I cut the bottom off, and mounted the small fan to the bottom, and then I used the can as a funneling tunnel for the air aimed at the Hot Glue.  Sure has saved me a lot of time holding things down when I've used Hot Glue to put something together.

Not saying this will wok for everyone, but it works for me.  Just something you might want to try.  Makes a cheap air blow gun for cooling off the hot glue quicker than standing there holding it {which feels like an eternity at times}.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

A small 12VDC Powered Computer Fan works wonders for this.   I took an old Pringles can,  I cut the bottom off, and mounted the small fan to the bottom, and then I used the can as a funneling tunnel for the air aimed at the Hot Glue.  Sure has saved me a lot of time holding things down when I've used Hot Glue to put something together.

Good idea.  I am sure I have parts for that - may not be a Pringles can however...

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Good idea.  I am sure I have parts for that - may not be a Pringles can however...

Heat gun on Cool . I can't believe you don't have one 😛

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Heat gun on Cool . I can't believe you don't have one 😛

I do.  It only makes hot and warm.  No air only.

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Doesn't have to be Pringles, any style tubular canister will work.  Pringles "Scorchin' Hot Potato Crisps" just happen to be my new favorite in the brand.   But my wife thinks I'm crazy when I keep all these old assorted flavors Pringles cans around.   I can always find a use for them, somewhere. LOL

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I do.  It only makes hot and warm.  No air only.

Same here, Jim.  My heat gun has Hot and Warm, no air only option either.  And that's when the idea stuck me to manufacture my own cool air gun out of a Pringles can and a 12VDC Computer Fan.    BTW: If I want it icy cold, I just use one of those reusable ice cubes, keep a few frozen and have a small little chamber I can snap behind the fan with drain holes underneath it for the moisture to leak out, that way it doesn't get{leak} into the air chamber or into the fans workings.  The ice chamber also has a filter, so the fan can't suck in or blow any water from the defrosting reusable ice cube into the chamber or onto/into the Hot Glue I'm cooling down.

Been using this little invention for years now with no problems.  And the colder the air, the faster that hot glue solidifies enough to let go of the project having to be held.  You don't have to use the "reusable ice cubes", but they do help quite a bit, especially if it's hot and muggy in the work area!

EDIT: BTW: this idea and invention came to me at around 1:30AM, when there isn't anywhere you could go to buy a "cold air gun", and this was a whole  lot cheaper to make, than buying a new heat/warm/air gun.   Especially since I already had all the parts around.

Edited by Orville

• 2 weeks later...

I made 4 of these candy canes for my display.  However, I made them from scratch, so they DEFINITELY took longer than 15 mins!😜

I will say, though, that even once all the parts were ready for assembly, they each took at least an hour. My biggest frustration this year is that some of the pixel bars are showing yellow when they should be white.  I REALLY don't want to take these apart and have to repair and re-glue... 🙄

• The topic was locked