Light-O-Rama Forums

How to utilize 50w RGB Floods

OkieNato

We are new to this even though we have had the software for several years. This is the first year we have done a light display and we have 3 of the 50w RGB floods and need some help getting them up and running. The other features/lights all work great, but we can’t figure the floods out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Don,  First we are trying to figure out if there is a particular place they need to go when it comes to layout?  Do they have to go before the LOR controllers, or can they be in the middle or at the end of the daisy chain? 

Second, how do you go about programming them?  When i purchased the software several years ago (which it has been in a box in my garage since we bought it) I purchased 3 of the 50W RGB floods.  We can get all three of them to work when they are stand alone, but when we put them in the "line up" of controllers, we cannot get one of them to "pass through" the signal.  When it is just with the other 2, and it is last in line, we can get it to work, but when we connect it with other controllers, the computer cannot find the other controllers

Hopefully my rambling makes sense

40 minutes ago, OkieNato said:

First we are trying to figure out if there is a particular place they need to go when it comes to layout?  Do they have to go before the LOR controllers, or can they be in the middle or at the end of the daisy chain? 

The can go anywhere in the network.

40 minutes ago, OkieNato said:

Second, how do you go about programming them?  When i purchased the software several years ago (which it has been in a box in my garage since we bought it) I purchased 3 of the 50W RGB floods.  We can get all three of them to work when they are stand alone, but when we put them in the "line up" of controllers, we cannot get one of them to "pass through" the signal.  When it is just with the other 2, and it is last in line, we can get it to work, but when we connect it with other controllers, the computer cannot find the other controllers

From your description, it sounds like one of them has a bad network port, or there is a back Cat-5 cable.  Try a different cable on the link between the last working controller and the first failed controller.  Also carefully visually inspect the RJ-45 jacks both of those.  Mainly what you are looking for is a damaged jack or one with a couple of the pins crossed.

The other part of this is:  Did you set Unit IDs for each RGB flood?

Think of 50W floods as a PIXIE(1).  They should be on a Red adapter and run at (115-) 500K.

Each should have its own ID (use care if you have other smart controllers, they consume MULTIPLE ID's)

There is no specific order on the cable needed. The last device ON the cable should be Terminated when possible (New pixies have a jumper, JP4, to make that easy)

I picked up one of these a few years ago when I started really expanding my display and amount of controllers. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RJ45-RJ11-Network-Lan-Cable-Tester-Wire-Line-Test-Net-Work-Tool/586750359 . My id needs updating as I have 9 A/C controllers, 2 CMB24 RGB controllers, 1 Pixie 4, 1 Pixie 16 and one 50w RGB Flood.

I'm not a professional so I don't need a high end tool. For me this a prefect tool that quickly lets me know a cable I'm about to use is working properly. I use this regardless of type of controller and use it on both Cat5(e) and Cat 6 cables. If the cable is working then it may be a bad port like Jim said previously. I added the 50w Flood this year and love how it throws a lot of color on the side of our house (visible to visitors as they approach the display. 

Sorry I can't help on programming them as I'm still holding onto good ole S4. LOL

Hope you get them up and running because they really are cool.

Al

• The topic was locked