Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuring Raspberry Pi w/ Colorlight card for P5 panel

Timothy

I have a 4x4 matrix. I thought I had set everything up correctly but it doesn't seem to be working. If I want to use it as a E.1.31 device, what settings do I use? How to properly connect to it, I was using a USB RS-485 plugged into the USB port on the raspberry pi. Is this the correct way to connect to it?

FYI. I have already set up the LED panels, configured it with a static IP and pointed those universes to that IP in S5. I also added the prop in my sequence and pointed it to the proper universes. I'm sure it's some setting in FPP I'm not getting/setting correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Timothy

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

How to properly connect to it, I was using a USB RS-485 plugged into the USB port on the raspberry pi. Is this the correct way to connect to it?

No.  The FPP installation will function as a E1.31 controller, so you are connecting Ethernet from the show computer to the RasPi.

Sanity check.  You should have two Ethernet connections on the RasPi.  One is going to your show computer, and the other is a direct connection to the ColorLight card.  That one MUST be Gigabit.  Since the RasPi only normally has one Ethernet connection, you need to add a second one.  Generally that means a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Very important testing step by step.  When using a ColorLight, the first step is to make sure that the panels work correctly from the test facility built into the ColorLight using LED Vision.  Don't even try anything until that works.  Next is to run the test procedure built into Falcon Player.  Again, do not move to the next step until the Falcon Player test routines work correctly.  Finally at that point, you can try sending E1.31 data to the RasPi and see if that is working.

This I didn't know. image.png.ce1fe63426d485fe28167a084969b47b.png

This is what I was asking about the adapter. I'm using a USB RS-485 High Speed adapter connected to my ethernet cord (CAT 5), is that the right one or is there something else I should be using?image.png.0bb99c1299b25149367c580293bf57cb.png

Edited by Timothy

Lols, apparently neighbor is trying to watch a specific sequence right now while I'm trying to match up a motion effect to the panel and texted me if I could let it run through for his kid. Why his kid is up at 1:20 AM makes me wonder but whatevs.

21 minutes ago, Timothy said:

This is what I was asking about the adapter. I'm using a USB RS-485 High Speed adapter connected to my ethernet cord (CAT 5), is that the right one or is there something else I should be using?

No.  Ethernet is NOT RS-485.  Ethernet is your "normal" computer LAN.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

No.  Ethernet is NOT RS-485.  Ethernet is your "normal" computer LAN.

Yes, I realize that. Big Q is what adapter I need for the USB to ethernet cable?

Here is the one almost universally recommended to be used for the Gig-E connection on the Pi to communicate with the ColorLight.  Use the built in Ethernet on the Pi to communicate with your show computer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFJ0RKE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, all the panels turn on. When I go into FPP and run a test pattern, only the top half light up. Is there a setting I need to make on the colorlight card?