Light-O-Rama Forums

A Tale Of Two LEDs

jtomason

One AC LED strand on the Mega Tree went out.  

I really, really, really did not want to get the ladder out (that sucker is HEAVY!), so grabbing the trusty LED Keeper (a tool I cannot recommend highly enough), I set out at eye level hoping to find the bad bulb.   And I did!  It was literally the highest one I could reach without assistance.   So, grab a replacement from the spare donor set and we're all good, right?  

Oh no.   Nature abhors easy fixes.   Get the replacement LED, go to put it in the socket, and IT DOESN'T FIT.   Well, obviously, I am doing something wrong....Let's turn it around...Nope...  Twist a bit here... No... Maybe something got in the socket? No...  Twist some more...   Nothing.   OK, let's try the dead one - goes in easily.   Whaaaaaaa?

The two bulbs have different sized "stakes":

IMG_4935.jpg

Grabbed another LED from the same donor string, and NOW the problem is fixed.    Sheesh!

Edited by jtomason

• The title was changed to A Tale Of Two LEDs

The stakes set the polarity AND voltage (per bulb).

eg a 10 bulb string uses 12V /  bulb. Keep spares for like type strings together (and marked what they fit)

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

The stakes set the polarity AND voltage (per bulb).

eg a 10 bulb string uses 12V /  bulb. Keep spares for like type strings together (and marked what they fit)

Yep - this is a duplicate set, purchased at the same time.   Another LED from the same set fix the socket perfectly.  This one is just way too wide to fit that socket; polarity would seem to have nothing to do with it.  

Edited by jtomason

I have run across that as well. was the wide bulb near the begining, end or a 'blob' in the string? That is where I usually find them. Some times they seem to be reverse polarity when testing with the LED Keeper... 

58 minutes ago, rcktpwrd said:

I have run across that as well. was the wide bulb near the begining, end or a 'blob' in the string? That is where I usually find them. Some times they seem to be reverse polarity when testing with the LED Keeper... 

Nope.  About 1/3 of the way into the string.  Really odd. 

I have run into the same problem the bigger stake depending on the string will be at the start of a new group of leds in the string so it possible their might be several in the string depending on size of string.

Seen that quite often when I was using standard AC LED strands, some strands would have 2 like that, some would have 4 and some longer ones would have 6 to 8 in them.   And every one of those large staked LEDS were always REVERSED from all the rest.  I forgot who, but someone told me those are "ballast" LEDS, but I can't remember why they are reversed or what the reason for them was.  They told me, but that's been a long time back.  There's a specific reason for them, just not sure what it is.

• The topic was locked